Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OBD scan tool - working

allun

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SV6
Hi,

I know there are various threads on this topic, but I thought it might help someone in future searches to know of at least one definite solution for reading the OBD stuff on a VZ Alloytec since when I searched I just wanted to know what hardware and software to get!

I bought an ELM327 USB based hardware interface for NZD$125 (about AUD$100) and it came with scantool.net application software.

It all works fine out of the box, and it's fascinating to me to see the live sensor displays, O2 sensors, fuel mix, temp and pressure and all that!

I'm on a MacBook Pro, so I used the windows application via a virtual machine, it all worked fine.

I have also tried some native OSX software (Movi) which worked fine, the CD included Mac OSX USB drivers.

HTH someone!

Attachments

• 79549999_full.jpg
    79549999_full.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 910

mainpath

Reaction score
Website
www.applecollector.com
Members Ride
04 VZ Exec, HX Kingswood, VB Comm
Woot :-D, thats good news link me i'm very interested. I'd love to buy one.

PS: I also work for Apple so this is even more interesting as it works on the mac as well.

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
This sounds promising,
Which eBay user is selling this one? Do you have a link for it?
Just so I don't buy any particular one since I've heard there's a few dodgy ones out there...

allun

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SV6
This sounds promising,
Which eBay user is selling this one? Do you have a link for it?
Just so I don't buy any particular one since I've heard there's a few dodgy ones out there...

It was a guy selling them on trademe (NZ)

TradeMe.co.nz - elm327 for sale, New Zealand

If the link doesn't work just search for "ELM327" on trademe, or take note of the look of the thing and search ebay and the like....but yeah, I found it really hard to find one that someone could say they had tried on an Alloytech, so I posted this thread :)

If you get really stuck I would look at buying it and sending to you, or any other members tha might be keen....

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
It was a guy selling them on trademe (NZ)

TradeMe.co.nz - elm327 for sale, New Zealand

If the link doesn't work just search for "ELM327" on trademe, or take note of the look of the thing and search ebay and the like....but yeah, I found it really hard to find one that someone could say they had tried on an Alloytech, so I posted this thread :)

If you get really stuck I would look at buying it and sending to you, or any other members tha might be keen....

Ok then cheers for that allun.

allun

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SV6
Update - I have also tried digimoto software and it works fine as well - this application has a dyno and 1/4 mile function! Pretty sweet...I'm not sure on the dyno but the 1/4 mile function is good for testing before/after mods apparently.

kinga

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Can you change or remove that annoying seatbelt alarm beep with either of these devices/software?

allun

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SV6
Not with mine or I would think any of the similar ones - they are read only apart from the MIL (check engine light).