Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OBD2 for 2005 VZ sv6 ?

jd71

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6
Hey guys, my car driving me mental beeping to service it, tried resetting it but obviously its a code that needs to be checked. I have searched online but havent got conclusive results regarding what obd2 scanner to use, or even if you can use one? I just want to get one of these cheap ones off ebay. I'm not paying a garage to charge me a hundred bucks to check the code. Can anyone tell me their experiences with the code readers? I read that some of them can stuff up the air/petrol mix, but I don't want to change anything I just want to check what code it brings up and reset so I dont get that buzzing every 5 minutes. cheers!

gemini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
SuperCheap will do it for $14 and give you a print out. I was there today but I think something is wrong with my port as it could find faults for everything BUT the engine. Although, my airbag error is gone, so that's a good thing.

jd71

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6
SuperCheap will do it for $14 and give you a print out. I was there today but I think something is wrong with my port as it could find faults for everything BUT the engine. Although, my airbag error is gone, so that's a good thing.
The scanners are only 20 bucks but I need some maf cleaner anyway so I might try them out thanks.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Scanners are only $20 ?,
What sort of scanner is that ?, sounds like a toy,
May not read/recognise all the codes required.
Has the car been modified ?
and has it been services ?
I had a friend that had a VZ, and it was a Temperature Sender that needed to be replaced,
I bought a Genuine One, replaced it, reset the reminder, hasn't appeared again, the rest is history.
If you come up to the Bayside Area,
I will scan it, and email you a printout for $40.

jd71

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 sv6
I know it's ridiculous but they are proper scanners that the larger youtubers review and say work well checkout on eBay search ob2 scanner, they are full on scanners. But I've read conflicting reports on what works for a 05 vz. It hasn't been serviced for a while I changed oil and stuff recently. Thanks for the reply.

Scanners are only $20 ?,
What sort of scanner is that ?, sounds like a toy,
May not read/recognise all the codes required.
Has the car been modified ?
and has it been services ?
I had a friend that had a VZ, and it was a Temperature Sender that needed to be replaced,
I bought a Genuine One, replaced it, reset the reminder, hasn't appeared again, the rest is history.
If you come up to the Bayside Area,
I will scan it, and email you a printout for $40.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Some OBD2 scanners can damage the ECM.

BIG_JV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
I have one of these "Advanced HHOBD ELM327" Bluetooth scanners off ebay eg.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2014-HH...849214&hash=item4b0fd2ad6f:g:0CcAAOxyYANTZjTA

(I cant remember which seller I bought it off years ago, but it looks exactly like that one)

I've tried numerous pc and phone apps to use when scanning over the years and most don't really work well at all. Some of them are flaky and only occasionally find codes (and occasionally don't). But I recently found one that works absolutely perfectly called "car scanner"!! It has a setting specifically for Holden OBD II, so when you set that it works perfectly. The free version does everything you need, scanning and clearing codes and lets you graph sensor inputs, voltages and the like.

I just used it to diagnose a powertrain code for an intermittently faulty oxygen sensor and could see a voltage graph of when the sensor was working and when it went dead. When I fixed it, cleared the code all good. Highly recommend giving this setup a go, will cost u less than 20bux and this app works great!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ovz.carscanner&hl=en_US