Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OBD2 Trouble Code reader scanner

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
if it does not say "this will work with a holden commodore or I will give you your money back" then don't bother.
WHY?
1)Only the GENIII's speak OBDII (everything from the VR onwards has the physical plug but wont speak the language).
2)There is a standard code for OBDII for "send me your fault codes" and would you believe the GENIII's dosent speak it, you need to send a different code, easy enough with something hooked up to a computer but impossible with the sealed units.

As for the Alloytech which also uses OBDII (but a different version, CAN) you might be in luck but I don't know.

Mike

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
michaelw said:
if it does not say "this will work with a holden commodore or I will give you your money back" then don't bother.
WHY?
1)Only the GENIII's speak OBDII (everything from the VR onwards has the physical plug but wont speak the language).
2)There is a standard code for OBDII for "send me your fault codes" and would you believe the GENIII's dosent speak it, you need to send a different code, easy enough with something hooked up to a computer but impossible with the sealed units.

As for the Alloytech which also uses OBDII (but a different version, CAN) you might be in luck but I don't know.

Mike
Thanks for that Mike, as always there are no free rides! We've got a big swap meet up here in Townsville next Sunday and there are sure to be some sharpies selling these things. Last time I got my airbag light reset, the tech said his reader cost $13000....fortunately he only charged $10 for the reset. However, computers used to cost a heap and now they are peanuts so maybe one day genuine scanners will be available cheap. Regards.

H

HATER VP

Im pretty sure VR upwards have a OBD2 Plug under the steering collum.
Our scanners cost $8000 each and are worth there wait in gold. Really good for VT Upwards. Have changed Radio Pins with these a few times. You can also test everything fed by the BCM.

michaelw

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2
yep the plug is there but it does not speak the OBDII protocol.

You are right the scanners are much better than the engine adaptors that you can make yourself (they had better be for the price) as the DIY scanners can only talk to the engine.

Mike