Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Occasional engine light

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Little orange/yellow light that stays on before going off when you first start the car is coming on every now and then, while driving. Reckon I have seen it come on 6 - 8 times over the last 2-3 weeks. It goes away within a few seconds. Car still runs and doesn't miss a beat. Should I be concerned? Seems to occur around 2000 revs or lower. What causes it to come on, just failing sensors??

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Cleaned out all the gunk in your throttle body and plenum lately?

Check for codes with a paper clip

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Never cleaned the TB on the ute. What gaskets will I need? I asked Repco about getting the gaskets and he wanted to sell me a whole set, like 80 bucks worth as he didn't have a listing for just TB gaskets.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I will run another scan. Last time I run the scan nothing came up except security disabled. Yet my TPS was buggard, hence I don't have huge amount of faith in scans. But will try regardless.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Mate you will save yourself a ton of mulla by getting a diag cable and software (plus a laptop if you dont have one)
I got a netbook for $80 cable for 70$ and software well I spent 120$ as I tried a few different ones....
Anyway quite a few errors dont flag a fault till they fail or if they are not mission specific...random ones for me in the past was O2 sensor...temp sensor..trans slip..tps...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I have a cable in my watch list. Can i just plug it in to a regular laptop? What port does the cable go into on the laptop? I have had the trans checked out and its in good condition. Had new solenoids fitted last year when the tech serviced the trans. Pretty sure the temp sensor has a dodgy plug. Previous owner had put blue RTV on it but I've never checked it out. Is the plug replaceable on the temp sensor? Could I chop the plug of a wreck and replace mine? Or would it be a matter of splicing in the wires? I replaced the cat back would that have any affect on the 02 sensor?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
02 sensor is on the cards as i dare say im on the original one still. But i may wait until i fit headers as i don't think it will cause the ute to break down.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I will run another scan. Last time I run the scan nothing came up except security disabled. Yet my TPS was buggard, hence I don't have huge amount of faith in scans. But will try regardless.
Was the CEL on when TPS was buggered ?
If the CEL is on, a fault is being logged.
You done the paperclip trick before ??

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Mate no $$$$ required

Dont u know the paper clip trick? Takes 2 minutes you can do it right now free of charge. Any errors flash up on the dash

Gaskets?

Take your throttle body off and polish it till its original silver again

It chocks up with oil and gunk like boogers in your nose. It just needs a clean out