Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Occasional engine light

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Might not make a difference but you could try shifting it manually.
If everyone here chipped in 20 bucks we could buy Losh a donor ute ;)
Bloody VR's are evil things, that's why they have that ugly black badge!
Count me in if we can set and it helps .
They can be a very reliable, bought mine with 180k on it , more than doubled that before I sold it 7years ago , last I heard it's still going.
I'm sure there's more I did, but from memory , clutch, power steering line and pump, power steering line a second time , fuel pump, shocks, bushes, wheel bearings , roof lining, lol ( not that serious), services, few other minor things .
As said I'm sure a few other things but not bad for more than 180k over 9 years , when it started with 180k on it and 8 years old .

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Speedo worked off and on, on my way to work. Won't downshift and won't get into 4th, need to manually downshift. Sits on about 3k at 95kph. Hoping that soldering the wire on the speed sensor plug and resetting the PCM will get the gears shifting properly. Otherwise I will need to order a new sensor.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ok so i have either a dodgy plug or sensor or both. I definitely have a dodgy plug. Unfortunately a previous owner has done a repair on it and used glue. I can't get it apart but pretty sure the red wire is not making proper contact. Now I have the option of taking it to a trans tech and getting a new harness fitted, or splice in a new plug to the existing harness. I know what will be cheaper by far. Once i fix the plug i can then see if the speed sensor is functional or faulty.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Spoke to a trans tech and it's three months before he can get me in. I have decided I'm going to chop the plug off and cut a plug off a wreck at the Pick Ya Part and splice it in to my existing harness. I don't think it is going to be a good idea to start removing cables inside the trans to replace the full harness in-case it upsets the trans in some way. Besides I can't wait three months and I don't feel confident getting inside the trans myself. Then I will find out if I need a new speed sensor or not. Might have to borrow some ramps and fix the car at the wife's house, otherwise it will be two weeks before the ute is operating properly.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No different sensor greenacc. However before I order a new speed sensor I need to fit a new plug on the harness that fits into the speed sensor. Talking to the trans tech he said I would need to fit a whole new harness. To do that the trans needs to be lowered, pan needs to come off and get access to the harness on the drivers side, where the solenoids are. I'm hoping to splice in a second hand plug onto my existing harness as that will be a lot easier. The speed sensors are over $120 so want to see if the faulty plug is the only problem and fix that first before I order a new sensor.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Here is a pic of a 6HDD trans going into my VR wagon after I fitted an Ecotec a few years ago. This shows the speed sensor location and looks identical to the one in the ebay link you posted. All the wiring is external to the trans. It could be done with the trans in the car by removing the trans crossmenber and lowering the trans a bit.

You can tell its a VR by the cat location, VS has the cat central and welded to the Y pipe.

## EDIT ## - the trans pictured is from a VS series 2, but the rear housing is from a VR series 2 as there is a difference with the mount and speed sensor is on opposite side to a VS.

VR VS trans.jpg
VR VS trans c.jpg

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I can replace the plug and sensor no worries. If I was to replace the entire harness I need to open up the box as the other end of the harness go inside the case.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeah I can replace the plug and sensor no worries. If I was to replace the entire harness I need to open up the box as the other end of the harness go inside the case.
I'm confused again, doesn't the harness plug into ths sensor? It sounds like your saying the harness goes right through the sensor from the ecu into the guts of the Tranny?
Is it the internal wiring that's damaged?