Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

odd coolant leak

tsalad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR family truckster
ello all

was just going over the engine today and noticed a little pooling of coolant above the lhs rocker cover - buggered if I know where it came from - but I know there shouldnt be coolant there!!!

Any ideas??

DSCN1575a.jpg

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
take thecar for a spin, get it up to temp and then pop the bonnet and let it idle for a while until the cooling fan comes on, this is the hottest the coolant should get and therefor the most pressure in the cooling system... now look for any obvious leaks, check your oil as well, if milky looking you have a coolant leak into the oil. otherwise get a coolant pressure test done

tsalad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR family truckster
yeah - I'll try that

nah the coolant is clear.

tsalad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR family truckster
*sigh* that was going to be too easy!! Sat there watching it after it got up to temp and nadda - not a drop of coolant coming up anywhere :bang:

Its good cause I couldnt see it leaking - but bad because it is obviously leaking!!
I'll just have to keep an eye on it I guess??

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
probably the water jackets (talking in terms of my mechanic friend), if it is I suggest to change the oil after its been recified, there might be little bit of water in the oil.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
ok, just had anotherlook at the pic, all i cna suggest is maybe a bad intake manifold gasket, there is a coolant passage running throught the intake manifold in front of the plenum and the coolant looks to be between the first 2 intake runners. all i can suggest is monitor the coolant level, keep and theoil condition, any hint of water in there i'd suggest further investigation

tsalad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR family truckster
cheers for those ideas - I will continue to monitor it. The only othe thing I could think of was coolant leaking from one of the water pump pipes and being pushed back over that side of the engine block by air coming through. Ive tightened all the hoses and mopped up the mess so we'll see what happens!!

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Check to see if your manifold bolts are loose. They might need to be tightened to stop the leak. I had this problem with my Calais and some bolts i could turn with my fingers because they were so loose.

jNINE

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
I have a 'couple'
I'm with immortality here - looks like the gaskets are leaking on the inlet manifold. Mine did it awhile ago on my old engine, and have seen it happen in other cars too. We took the opportunity of portmatching mine when we had it off :p

tsalad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR family truckster
jNINE said:
I'm with immortality here - looks like the gaskets are leaking on the inlet manifold. Mine did it awhile ago on my old engine, and have seen it happen in other cars too. We took the opportunity of portmatching mine when we had it off :p

*sniff* on close inspection I think it may be that too. I broke out the Gregorys and it looks like a fairly big job!! That will give me something to do Saturday :thumbsup: