Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Odd noise coming from engine bay

ChrisOk1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX S Pac
Okay so I was driving around today and I noticed an odd noise coming from the engine bay. It is very faint and disappears when the clutch is in. Anytime the clutch is out (whether in gear or not) it starts again. The best way to describe it is, it's like a hearing a jackhammer hitting concrete but as though you are hearing it from very far away. Sort of a ringy, tinny sound and it is very faint. Car's due for a service so I will ask the mechanic but just curious as to what it may be...

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Clutch thrust bearing.....They can get a bit rattly with age.
Mine does it sometimes....Clutch in, no noise. Clutch out little noisy, although I can only sometimes hear mine in neutral.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
It will need replacing eventually but as general rule of thumb... they can be noisy for years before they finally give up. When it starts pushing the gear stick into neutral out of gear at low speeds.... thats when its time.

ChrisOk1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX S Pac
Ah crap, the guy I bought it off said he replaced the clutch 1,500ks ago -_- Any idea how much that is to fix?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
We are not saying it is definitely the clutch, but it is a possibility. It's a bit hard to diagnose some problems over a forum.
Take it to your mechanic and find out for sure.