Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Odometer adjustment for replacement instrument cluster?

Rick60

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman Series II
I've just replaced the instrument cluster in my '97 VS Statesman and was wondering if it's possible to get the odometer reading adjusted to match that from the old unit.
I have the original cluster i can use as proof it that's needed. My intention is not to falsify the reading, i only want to make the odometer reading accurate for all my service records.
I've done a search and haven't found a definitive answer if this can be done, some say absolutely 'NO' it can't be done; some say yes, with a type 2 something; and others say not even with a type 2 if it's done more that 100kms.

If it can be done and if it won't cost me too much i'd really like to get it changed. I live in the Flureau area of South Aust, if anybody can do it i would really appreciate hearing from you.
If it can't be done or if it's going to cost me heaps, then i'll just have to put up with it. Luckily the one i purchased is only 9,560km more than my original reading - but it does stuff up all my service records, calculations, and next oil change etc.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Tech 2 will only work with VT onwards and yes it's limited to only work before X amount of kms.

VN-VS can be changed with the correct VDO tool or there are some people on the forums that could do it for you, legally it can be changed under circumstances such as yours, a stat dec signed with the original cluster kms and reson for wanting it changed should be all you need to supply to anyone able to fix it for you.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Yes it can be done I had my lvl 3 cluster wound back when I did my conversion. Cost me $150

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Is the LCD broken in any way? You can take the LCD part out of your old cluster and put it in the new one and it will have the correct kilometers on it. It's saved in the board on that part of it.

Rick60

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman Series II
Tech 2 will only work with VT onwards and yes it's limited to only work before X amount of kms.

VN-VS can be changed with the correct VDO tool or there are some people on the forums that could do it for you, legally it can be changed under circumstances such as yours, a stat dec signed with the original cluster kms and reson for wanting it changed should be all you need to supply to anyone able to fix it for you.

Thanks Jxw, I have no problem signing anything, in fact i prefer it because i'd like to keep a record of the replacement. I read somewhere that there's a serial number that's supposed to match the cars VIN number so it would be good to have an official record of the replacement and odo adjustment.
You mention a VDO tool? I've only read about a type 2 diagnostic tool. I should mention i have the Statesman 3 panel LCD type (Type 3?)

Hi
you could try these guys G A U G E W O R K S - Services
1004 Port Rd, Albert Park SA 5014
(08) 8347 0506

Thanks for the tip, if all else fails i'd be willing to take a trip to Albert Park

Yes it can be done I had my lvl 3 cluster wound back when I did my conversion. Cost me $150

Argh! I was hoping not to fork out that much, i only paid $110 for the cluster. OK, call me a tight-a$$ but if it's going to cost me that much i think i'll put up with the extra 10,000kms

Is the LCD broken in any way? You can take the LCD part out of your old cluster and put it in the new one and it will have the correct kilometers on it. It's saved in the board on that part of it.

The LCD is the reason i changed it, some segments in the middle (fuel) display weren't working although i could still read the hieroglyphs knowing which ones were faulty. If the LCD part is where the odo reading is stored, i need to keep the new one.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Seriously bloke. For 10,000km?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
tbh with how much it'll cost to have it set either professionally with the correct plug n play tool, a back yarder that will need to dismantle the trip computer (risks breaking all the plastic as it'll be brittle and cost more to spend hours gluing it back together) or taking the trip computers (in the cluster) apart and simply swapping the pcb's over yourself (once again the plastic is brittle) all for as above 10,000 kms... you're better off making note of it in your service logs, but if you're that pedantic about it all you're going to have to fork out some $$$.

Rick60

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman Series II
Seriously bloke. For 10,000km?

I Know! I Know! I Know! - Perfectionism is a curse, borderline OCD:unsure:

Hey, maybe i'll get lucky and there's someone out there with a gizmo that'll do it as a trade for the old cluster:idea3:

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
If it is for knowing when the service, and it is out by 10,000km, and 10,000km is the service interval.....