Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

odometer correction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE LS3
Hi all I have a 2017 VF2 LSA GTS W507 that for some reason when I changed a flat battery the odometer reset to a random number. Purchased a used instrument cluster had the vin reprogrammed and correct mileage reprogrammed. I swapped over but it still shows the same kms as previous cluster. Does the mileage get recorded in some other place such as the Body Control Module??. Vehicle done 9,000 kms and random number is now fixed at 670,000. When driven both speedos work correctly and and mirror additional distance travelled. ( battery had been totally discharged in excess of 10 months as vehicle not used) any ideas where and or what need to be done to sort?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Hi all I have a 2017 VF2 LSA GTS W507 that for some reason when I changed a flat battery the odometer reset to a random number. Purchased a used instrument cluster had the vin reprogrammed and correct mileage reprogrammed. I swapped over but it still shows the same kms as previous cluster. Does the mileage get recorded in some other place such as the Body Control Module??. Vehicle done 9,000 kms and random number is now fixed at 670,000. When driven both speedos work correctly and and mirror additional distance travelled. ( battery had been totally discharged in excess of 10 months as vehicle not used) any ideas where and or what need to be done to sort?

The odometer is not recorded in the instrument cluster it is only saved there when the vehicle is turned off for display while the vehicle is not running.

The value is sent to the instrument cluster over the can when you start the vehicle and updated as you drive over the can.

If the odometer in the cluster is not working then it needs to be programmed with your vin properly.
The cluster will work without the vin but it will not update the odometer if it is not programmed properly.

If the random number is the same with the old cluster i would disconnect the battery for 10 mins and reconnect then start vehicle and if that does not work take the vehicle to a dealer because you have a dodgy bcm/ecu

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
2017 + 3 years = 2020 :cool:

Most 2017 cars had 5 or 7 years factory warranty but even if they has 3 years, it would either be just inside or just outside factory warranty (depending on registration date) and should be covered in full (at no cost to you).

I really can't see that the dealer wont resolve this issue for you under warranty as there is no conceivable way you'd have driven 670,000 kms since purchase (fun fact, to moon and back is 764336kms) :eek:

So, go to a dealer and have them fix it, if not under factory warranty then they can fix it under your ACL statutory warranty and call it good will :p.

Last edited:

Rapom1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oct 2017 sv6 wagon white
Dealer will probably say, "so Sir, given you've had such an incredible run out of this old worn out one, would you be interested in trading it in on this new left over Equinox?"

Gazoline

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SS Thunder Ute
Contents removed my admin

Last edited by a moderator:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Why dig up an old thread and post about odometer tampering which if I'm not mistaken is illegal and against forum rules.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.