Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

odometer overclocking

big dan

Reaction score
my wife swears the odometer is clocking up more kays than shes doing.bought from dealer 2nd hand under new car warrenty 38000 km.anyone heard of this before?being electronic can it be tampered with to read over?.iv yet to check it myself though.vz sv6.car is original with 17's.thanks in advance.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Why beg, borrow or BUY a GPS so that you can cross check. That is a very accurate way of doing it. GPS, if you buy wisely, will be useful for future navigation etc.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Some new cars are not quite accurate with the speedo and the odo, they over state speed to attain economy figures stated. I know the new Mitsubishis read about 3 k's over so they can get the claimed ecomony at highway speeds. A gps in a Triton and a Pajero showed a different speed than the speedo. We put a larger set of wheels on the Triton and it was spot on.

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
has the car hads its diff gear ratios changed or larger tyres fitted. would make a difference but i dont think it would be too much

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The cluster can be set with the wrong tyre size. Get it checked by a Holden dealer.

I had mine reprogrammed when changing to 215 tyres.

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
do u have a teenage son? a friend use to sneak out at night and drive his dads car ****loads.

Kung-Foo-Kamel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Custom Hilux with a V6 Ecotec
Some new cars are not quite accurate with the speedo and the odo, they over state speed to attain economy figures stated. I know the new Mitsubishis read about 3 k's over so they can get the claimed ecomony at highway speeds. A gps in a Triton and a Pajero showed a different speed than the speedo. We put a larger set of wheels on the Triton and it was spot on.

I totally agree with you here, my ute has factory mags and its 3k's out at 100kph, I have a good quality garmin GPS at says im 3k's out

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
I used to have a work car that read 4 kph slower, and its quite annoying.

Yeh as mentioned they need to be programmed if you change the wheel size. Even changing tyres can have an effect because youve increased the rolling circumference of the rubber now.

My VZ went from 15" standard to 18" rims, Holden must have adjusted the speedo because it is spot on according to GPS. I'm not 100% what they can reprogram or how, I just know they can.

Dont forget, if the KPH is out, say for instance its fast by 5kph, in the long run your odometer will be out as its not clocking up a true distance travelled, so in this case it will add an extra 5 kilometers each hour onto the odometer if your doing 100kph ;)

So, drive maybe 4 highway trips @ 100kph for an hour each way, thats 20 kays on the clock you didnt acctually travel. Times this by 12 months ...

Also on the topic of GPS, Ive just brought a Garmin Naviagator. It has a cool function where theres a menu that tells you your speed, total time since last reset, time spent driving/time spent stopped and most of all - Kilometers travelled :thumbsup: Not bad for $300

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
In my experience, all Commodores (recent build) the speedo is generally 2 - 3 km/ph fast. If you confront Service Manager all they will usually do is check it and then tell you that it is within Holden's and ADR specifications. I have NEVER been able to get them to 'adjust' a speedo reading to show an accurate speed (using GPS as the 'acurate' measuring device). Believe that speedos must be built with an inaccuracy - it keeps many people from exceeding the speed limits - I guess. If you buuy a watch/clock and it is out by say 5% you'd want it repaired or replaced without question. A speedometer is a measuring device (no different to a clock - it measures time) and therefore they should all be accurate.