Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

New Posts Contact us

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Off to work I go.

[email protected]

300rwhp supra. yay.
Joined
Apr 26, 2006
Messages
998
Reaction score
9
Points
0
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Morning all.

I've now decided to take 6 months off uni to work. (need money)

So far I've been looking for work as a mechanics t/a or labourer (in Perth). Not as easy as first thought, not many jobs going around and the ones that are there are usually snapped up within the first hour of them being advertised.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or tips about where I should be looking or if there are any other sorts of jobs I should be looking at.

I'm stumped so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers again,
Steve.
 

jack.mc

Nothing witty to say :(
Joined
May 19, 2005
Messages
1,085
Reaction score
13
Points
0
Age
33
Location
Sydney, NSW
Website
www.jacks-lounge.com
Members Ride
VN Vacationer
I was tempted to do the same, but got worried that I wouldn't ever make it back to uni... Good luck with it! I'd scan the online listings, they can notify you when jobs in a certain category come up. Either that, or give everyone a resume and hope they call you sometime.
 

R Photon

I Like Bresciani Racing
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
328
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Age
32
Location
Brisbane,Queensland
Members Ride
1990 VN Commodore
i was considering doing the same(taking the six months of uni to work)..but like jack i thought i'd never make it back..
wat are u studying man? you might be able to get a junior position in a firm with the uni experience you've got.

one of the chicks at uni works part time in an accounting firm(dunno wat she does there) but shes only started uni this year..

so yeah have a look in your preferred area..ud prob enjoy it way more than labouring...good look with it man and be persistent
 

jules

we like the bun
Joined
Dec 27, 2003
Messages
1,149
Reaction score
16
Points
0
Members Ride
pimpin
stay at uni, like the others said. drop down to part time and get a part time job but if you get out of the groove you'll find it hard to return.

the sad fact is it helps to have a qualification these days, it makes things easier. doesn't have to be uni but you should get something, a trade if not a degree.
 

Dayvo

Because i can
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Messages
2,457
Reaction score
2,726
Points
113
Location
South East,Victoria
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
slundy said:
Morning all.

I've now decided to take 6 months off uni to work. (need money)

So far I've been looking for work as a mechanics t/a or labourer (in Perth). Not as easy as first thought, not many jobs going around and the ones that are there are usually snapped up within the first hour of them being advertised.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or tips about where I should be looking or if there are any other sorts of jobs I should be looking at.

I'm stumped so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers again,
Steve.
Have you thought about registering with a job agency like Catalyst, They have a lot of casual and part time positions,
 

Trennaa

Active Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2003
Messages
1,609
Reaction score
20
Points
38
Age
33
Location
Melbourne, AU
Members Ride
Qwerty
Seriously speaking.. spend 20% of your "jobsearching" time applying for ADVERTISED jobs, and the other 80% applying for Non Advertised jobs. This works as funny as it sounds. I didn't believe it, until I got my current job.
 

[email protected]

300rwhp supra. yay.
Joined
Apr 26, 2006
Messages
998
Reaction score
9
Points
0
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
tr3nt said:
Seriously speaking.. spend 20% of your "jobsearching" time applying for ADVERTISED jobs, and the other 80% applying for Non Advertised jobs. This works as funny as it sounds. I didn't believe it, until I got my current job.
I've been walking into a few places and just asking if they have any work, but so far nothing.

Not staying at uni, just finished a 6 month bridging course and no intake for my course until 2007.

Cheers guys, suppose I am doing it right, just not holding my toung right I guess.

Steve.
 

MarzVP

I now own a TARAGO!!!
Joined
Aug 13, 2005
Messages
662
Reaction score
9
Points
0
Age
46
Location
Port Bouvard, WA
Members Ride
1992 Tarago
Are you qualified to work for yourself in any way?
 

[email protected]

300rwhp supra. yay.
Joined
Apr 26, 2006
Messages
998
Reaction score
9
Points
0
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
MarzVP said:
Are you qualified to work for yourself in any way?
No not qualified in anything really. As I'm only 18 ive done a few things but never got any qualifications. Dont really know if I could be bothered with all the paperwork if i were to work for myself.

I'm really good with anything mechanical and I think I may have found something. I applied for a t/a job with ultratune but if I dont get that he said he will pass my number round to other stores. Hopefuly something will come of that.

Just gotta wait and see.
 
Top