Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oh dear Greta takes the spotlight again

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I'm of a similar opinion. I think Australia is the wrong place to determine climate change. Our climate historically has huge extremes of heat, drought, flood. Those of us old enough to have lived a few decades recall extremely hot weather and prolonged droughts before. I think the current mania sweeping this country is driven by a prolonged and really severe drought, (and there has been worse in our recorded history)allied with some extremely hot days. Bushfire, caused by drought, poor land management practices, heat and ratbag, only feed into this mentality.
How has climate changed in cooler climates? If there is global warming, wouldn't they be better areas to measure it? Europe had a strange heat wave this year, perhaps their experience is more relevant. California has had catastrophic fires, perhaps they can speak. Norther YS and Canada had record snowfalls this year. Global warming?
My generation gets accused of denial and blamed for the situation that now exists. Fine. I accept change "could" be occurring, but talk if "climate emergency", to me, is utter bullshit.

Yes , your right lets not use Aus as an example , lets maybe use the ice sheets/sea ice of the Arctic region that is disappearing leaving starving Polar Bears slowing encroaching on civilisation to survive , Walrus and Seals forced to be landlocked on periless cliffs falling to there death or maybe the glaciers of Europe and New Zealand that are disappearing at a rate of knots or maybe the slowly thawing frozen tundra of northern Europe that is sequestering billions of tons of carbon slowly being released , lets not forget all the low lying pacific islands and coastal cities , that are disappearing under a rising sea displacing thousand .
I haven't started on the changes with the sea where underlying currents that drive a lot of the weather around the world are gradually being changed , and the creatures at the bottom of the food chain put under immense stress causing a chain event that will effect all marine and terrestrial life , yes lets not use Aus as an example.

The climate is changing.....just like it has for the last 4,000,000,000 + years.

Human contribution ??????

Your right , climate change has allways existed but nature usually allows change to be slow enough i.e. over thousands of years to allow life to adjust but when change happens too quick for nature to adjust then mass extinctions occur such as the extinction of the dinosaurs caused by a meteorite or the pouring of billions and billions of tons of carbon back into the atmosphere that WE have done. There is no scientific explanation other than human actions that can explain the changes were experiencing . Have we caused it , go argue with the hundreds of educated knowledgeable scientists that say we did .

Were all lucky as were going to be well dead when your great great grand children will be blaming us for being for being so complacent . Maybe we should just stick to what we know and drive our polluting V8's around and make excuses to make us feel better

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Kleanphil, the changes in the world to come were known over 4000 years ago. There are historical writings on dramatic changes in the world's environment predicting the future demise all written over 2000 years ago. Its nothing new and to think we can some how return the earth into something it once was is just pure dreaming.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just to add i think a single human life is worth more than 7 whales and 20 polar bears. Yet we rarely hear about the mass genocide that occurs at least monthly in some of our poorest countries in the world. All we seem to hear is climate change propaganda, even though the world is warming surely human life is more important.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
lets not forget all the low lying pacific islands and coastal cities , that are disappearing under a rising sea displacing thousand

And those that are expanding....

FYI, the whole of Perth was once under the sea and, at a different point in time, one could walk to Rottnest Island, some 20 kms from today's coastline.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Just to add i think a single human life is worth more than 7 whales and 20 polar bears. Yet we rarely hear about the mass genocide that occurs at least monthly in some of our poorest countries in the world. All we seem to hear is climate change propaganda, even though the world is warming surely human life is more important.

Hmm , maybe ask those whales or Polar Bears if they agree with that statement

FYI, the whole of Perth was once under the sea and, at a different point in time, one could walk to Rottnest Island, some 20 kms from today's coastline.

Yes as I agreed , change happens ,but over thousands of years not hundreds

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Kleanphil, the changes in the world to come were known over 4000 years ago. There are historical writings on dramatic changes in the world's environment predicting the future demise all written over 2000 years ago. Its nothing new and to think we can some how return the earth into something it once was is just pure dreaming.
Seeing the future aint that hard , but I detect a hint of religious beliefs here , and I won't be drawn into that as it may effect my future selection into rugby union

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore

How do you think the indigenous people got here,, they made their way down from Africa and they used any think that would float as the gap between our country and Asia was more land then, according to history..

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I believe we are definitely seeing climate change. Ice is melting that's well recognised. Carbon is increasing and maybe adding to the melt at a faster rate, who really knows? I think however its probably a bit naive to think that we can turn the big melt around and cool things back down. I think there are things beyond our control and it will take a lot more than reducing carbon to turn our environment around. The world IMHO has greater things to worry about than global heating anyway. IMO mass murder in the form of beheadings in places like Africa and other countries that largely occurs without anyone blinking an eye. Rape in some countries is rife and is chopping off lims and gouging out someones eyes, simply because a person refuses to denounce their religion. To me this is far more urgent than worrying about global warming that we have plenty of time to adjust too.

That's a whole different thread my friend.

And if you pay just a little attention to what is been said, the climate scientists are trying to reduce the rate of global warming, not stop it, just reduce the rate which they attribute to humans. Ultimately nature will win, with an ever increasing world population we are going to run out of food sooner or later, mass murder and genocide will increase, global warming means more weather extremes (read more dead people) and the cycle will continue but ultimately nature will win. Whether or not the earth will still be inhabitable in a few hundred years is the question? and if that answer is no, then for the sake of future generations we better hope Musk and his starship are on the right path...