Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ohms Question

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Hi All,
I was just wondering about ohms, I was looking at Orion HCCA subs, they have a 2ohm version and a 4ohm version (same price), I was just wondering which would be better? and also what the difference would be. At a lower impendance you get more power (from amps anyway) at the downfall of it running hotter ye?

But in respective to SPL, is there a difference? the Orion subs are rated the same RMS for the 2ohm and 4ohm.

Edit: Has anyone had experience with Orion HCCA152 (2ohm 15")? or the HCCA154 (4ohm 15")? or even the 12" versions?

Last edited:

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
The only difference is that they'll work with different amps...

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
The only difference is that they'll work with different amps...

No SPL difference? or SQ difference? ... Exacly the same just for different amps? So which would be prefered? I haven't chosen an amp yet :whistling

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
If they're dual voice coil, you'll need to take the resulting impedance of both coils together to picking an amp to power them. Examples:

12" sub 2 x 2ohm voice coils: I could wire it in series and achieve 4 ohms (suiting most amps just fine, albeit at low power/low heat. I could also wire it in parallel for a resulting impedance of 1ohm, suitable for most mid-high end monoblock amplifiers. The amp driving it will typically use a heap of current, but with the payoff of a lot of watts coming out of the subwoofer end of the amp.

12" Sub 2 x 4ohm coils: Series for 8ohm (you wouldn't do this in a car typically), or in parallel for a 2ohm load (about where you'll find most subwoofer systems run at, and amps able to drive 2ohm are quite common).

Seeing as you don't have an amp yet, I'd go the 2 x 2ohm woofer, run it in parallel, and buy a 1ohm stable monoblock, it's the most bang for buck. Differences in SQ between all these setups would be non-existant, if not in-audibly minimal. Your biggest SQ influence will be in your subwoofer enclosure, your sound deadening, and your front stage quality/mounting/positioning (plus how well your front stage meshes with your low end).

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
No SPL difference? or SQ difference? ... Exacly the same just for different amps? So which would be prefered? I haven't chosen an amp yet :whistling
camstatic basically explained it all :)

No SPL difference if both have the same power.
Lower impedance (ohms) causes amplifier damping factor to go down, which IN THEORY does reduce SQ by a small amount. Say an amp has a damping factor for 400 at 4 ohm, it will drop to 200 at 2 ohm. But if you have a 2 ohm sub, then you buy and amp with a damping factor of 400 at 2 ohm. Those numbers are just an example.

Ryan.mate

ryan
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss sandman 5.7
okay i just read this so how would a dual 4ohms 600rms sub go with a alpine mono block at 1000rms at 4ohms and 2ohms?

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
okay i just read this so how would a dual 4ohms 600rms sub go with a alpine mono block at 1000rms at 4ohms and 2ohms?

Being a 4ohm DVC sub, you can only wire it up as 2ohm or 8ohm load.

I wouldnt suggest running 1000wrms through a 600wrms sub. Also post up model numbers makes things easier to check

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Being a 4ohm DVC sub, you can only wire it up as 2ohm or 8ohm load.

I wouldnt suggest running 1000wrms through a 600wrms sub. Also post up model numbers makes things easier to check

You guys are crazy, how do you suggest running a subwoofer if you don't even know a model number?

My sub (hifonic 2412 rated 2400rms), Alberts said they wouldn't wanna put more than 1700rms into it. Would you suggest putting 3000rms into it? It would shatter it I recon.

For all you know it could be like a black and gold brand sub :p

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
You guys are crazy, how do you suggest running a subwoofer if you don't even know a model number?

My sub (hifonic 2412 rated 2400rms), Alberts said they wouldn't wanna put more than 1700rms into it. Would you suggest putting 3000rms into it? It would shatter it I recon.

For all you know it could be like a black and gold brand sub :p

Where did i suggest he should run that sub?

All i stated was that I would not run 1000wrms into something designed for 600. In my setups i have always kept the ratings within ~10% of whats recommended.

Deutscher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota MR2
Where did i suggest he should run that sub?

All i stated was that I would not run 1000wrms into something designed for 600. In my setups i have always kept the ratings within ~10% of whats recommended.

OOOPS!!! My Bad!
Miss read the post!! read would instead of would'nt'.
Sorry, shouldnt of jumped on conclusions. Just read it too quickly because at work.
My apology.