Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil additives/balance shaft knock

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR Commodore Acclaim
Hi everyone - have just joined after reading much on this site over time. About four years ago my VR (V6) Acclaim developed a distinctive knock in the engine when starting from cold. Turned out to be a worn balance shaft. It doesn't seem to have got any worse, and goes away after about five minutes or less as soon as the engine warms up and the metal tolerances close. My mechanic says it would cost about $2000 to replace the shaft as the engine has to come out. Accordingly, I did some extensive research and have put the following additives into the oil:

300 ml Engine Restorer
300 ml Nulon worn engine treatment
250 ml Nulon long term engine treatment
300 ml Xcelplus (the original Siick 50 formula)

The knock is still there but bit quieter, but the car seems to be running more economically after i just made a trip up and back to north east Vic. Seems to have a little more power too, but I'll probably have to drive bit further to get the full benefit.

Anyone like to comment on this issue? Thanks.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Some people remove the balance shaft. AFAIK the shaft can be removed with the engine in the bay.

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Removal of is not needed. Just remove the gear drive from the front of the shaft with the timing cover off.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Dont remove the shaft just the front drive sprocket...there is an oil feed at the rear of the shaft......problem is if you do remove the balance shaft sprocket, you will end up worrying endlessly if the noise is still there :) These things rattle and bang as they get old, embrace the noise or turn up the radio ;)

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
what grade of oil are you using

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
Some people remove the balance shaft. AFAIK the shaft can be removed with the engine in the bay.
Thanks Losh - my Holden mechanic (who is pretty honest) told me the engine had to come out to replace the bearing housing as over time the bearings can wear (I assume) a 'track' in the end of the balance shaft.. How do you replace it without the engine coming out?

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dont remove the shaft just the front drive sprocket...there is an oil feed at the rear of the shaft......problem is if you do remove the balance shaft sprocket, you will end up worrying endlessly if the noise is still there :) These things rattle and bang as they get old, embrace the noise or turn up the radio ;)
Thanks for that - I'll ask my mechanic. He might say "Have you been reading those forums again??"...

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
what grade of oil are you using
Standard grade 20W 50. Oil was replaced very recently as mechanic originally thought the noise was due to a tappet lifter sticking; the engine wasn't cold enough for the full sound to be heard...

Dunlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
Removal of is not needed. Just remove the gear drive from the front of the shaft with the timing cover off.
Thanks - will check with my mechanic, but it really sounds like the shaft is bouncing around in the bearing race to me (but that's only my opinion).

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Thanks for that - I'll ask my mechanic. He might say "Have you been reading those forums again??"...
Yeah mechanics hate forums/social media..It costs em their lively hood....Meh Its your dime.....but if your running a 20+ year old car you need to learn to do it yourself or they become financially unviable....