Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil additives

Wayne001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais
What are people's opinions on oil additives ? Which is better nulon or liqui moly ? Thanks

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I never used them. If you use good synth oil additives ... are not needed...
Snake oil stuff mostly...

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Never used them and never will because the r&d went into the engine without needing them so it works without them.

It is a touchy subject this one because some people swear by them and others dont.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Only one i use is Proma MBL8. Was recommended by a few mechs. I don't currently use it though mainly because its expensive and a bit of hassle to get in Launceston.
Good thing about MBL is it is universal. Can go in an engine as well in some gear boxes and open diffs. MBL will quieten a noisy diff and help the bearings last longer.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
the r&d went into the engine without needing them so it works without them

Although the engines don't 'need' them, doesn't mean they can't work better with them. Liqui-moly is a German company which has been around for over 60yrs and has the runs on the board with their Mos2 friction reducing additive in particular. It was originally used by fighter pilots to allow them to land their plane if they had a direct hit on the oil tank, resulting in a complete oil loss.

I've read up a lot about their products and the R&D that goes into them, and they have a lot of credibility over a long period of time. I currently use around five of their products regularly and find them great. All made in Germany as well, if that counts for anything

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I would try them if I had an engine problem like a stuck lifter. If it's running well I wouldn't bother throwing stuff in my engine just for fun. I hear lifter free is good stuff for cleaning the engine tho.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Just use decent oil and change it regularly.