Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Catch Can + Air Separator

Danthuyer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Hi all,

Going to be setting up the dirty side oil catch system this weekend. I have bought a generic no baffled can from ebay with a drain plug and I will make up a baffle and stuff it with steel wool.

The question I have is around a cleanside system ?
Clean-Air Oil Separator - Elite Engineering
Speed Inc - RX RX 1LE Style Clean-Side Oil Separator System
TR Air Oil Separator for Subaru

So my question around these items are:

Are these used in conjunction with the catch can ?
Do they plum into the same collection camber/can ?
If there is not one available for the FLX has anyone done a DIY ?

Cheers
Dan

Danthuyer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Looks neat, but why would you go to that much trouble? What's the benefit?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Looks neat, but why would you go to that much trouble? What's the benefit?

you know all that oil blowby that gets vented into your intake because EPA? yeh, its cleaner for the environment, but not good for your engine. an oil-air separator/catch can(properly baffled) "separates" the oil from the air, so you end up with mostly just air going back into the intake, and oil collecting or draining into sump, so way less actual oil in the intake, which means better everything.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
you know all that oil blowby that gets vented into your intake because EPA? yeh, its cleaner for the environment, but not good for your engine. an oil-air separator/catch can(properly baffled) "separates" the oil from the air, so you end up with mostly just air going back into the intake, and oil collecting or draining into sump, so way less actual oil in the intake, which means better everything.

Ok thanks. Still I think it's a lot of work unless there is actually a definable problem, apart for the theory that oil and air or oil and water and air reduces the octane. The amount is like what... a thimble cup full drizzled in over 15000km?!

Last edited:

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Ok thanks. Still I think it's a lot of work unless there is actually a definable problem, apart for the theory that oil and air or oil and water and air reduces the octane. The amount is like what... a cup full drizzled in over 5000km?!

The problem is that the oil coats all of your intake bits. Throttle body, intake manifold, valves, etc depending on drive style and service interval can get carbon build up on them. Carbon on valves is not a good thing at all and even in the throttle body can lower throttle response.

I'll be catch canning the ute after it gets its first oil change (probably at 7-8,000km). I don't want anything to interfere with the oiling system while it runs in.

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
I use these ones. Oil/air separator

OIL Catch CAN Suit Holden Commodore LS1 LS2 LS3 VT VX VY VZ VE VE V6 Black | eBay.

$(KGrHqEOKpoE6WTZOiKPBOlroTIOwg~~60_57.JPG

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
The problem is that the oil coats all of your intake bits. Throttle body, intake manifold, valves, etc depending on drive style and service interval can get carbon build up on them. Carbon on valves is not a good thing at all and even in the throttle body can lower throttle response.

I'll be catch canning the ute after it gets its first oil change (probably at 7-8,000km). I don't want anything to interfere with the oiling system while it runs in.

Thanks, I can see the benefit on some cars, for sure. Not many, not mine.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Thanks, I can see the benefit on some cars, for sure. Not many, not mine.

Benefit really scales with how hard you drive it. If you're up it a lot or racing and see a bit of high RPM usage, then it's more beneficial than pottering around town. You get more through the PCV the faster it spins.