Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Catch Can

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The problem with the ecotec V6 PCV system is that he PCV valve is a internal part of the intake manifold, to prevent any oil from getting into the intake manifold the internal PCV valve needs to blocked and a external PCV valve added through a 2nd catch can. With the ecotecs you can't simply fit a breather on a rocker cover because of the MAF based engine management system being upset by the un-metered air.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
In the case of the VT-VY V6's this is also exacerbated by the exhaust gas recirculation, the build up inside the plenum that is

yeah i just cleaned mine out... had about 3-4mm of carbon build up in it

Also immortality would you be able to point me in the right direction as to how to go about this as i would really like to do it but i was just going to run a catch can from the current breather point on the block through to a catchcan and then connect the breather of the cartchcan up to the throttlebody where it usually goes... is this right or should i be doing it differently?

HoldenManDan

Built, not bought...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 4.2L L67 T56 :D
yeah i just cleaned mine out... had about 3-4mm of carbon build up in it

Also immortality would you be able to point me in the right direction as to how to go about this as i would really like to do it but i was just going to run a catch can from the current breather point on the block through to a catchcan and then connect the breather of the cartchcan up to the throttlebody where it usually goes... is this right or should i be doing it differently?

... you mean to say instead of the hose coming from the PCV valve going directly to the TB like in a stock setup, you add a catch can in between the pcv exit and the TB inlet? If so, this is what i've just done on my L67 and in theory should do the trick.

Hope this helps!

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
... you mean to say instead of the hose coming from the PCV valve going directly to the TB like in a stock setup, you add a catch can in between the pcv exit and the TB inlet? If so, this is what i've just done on my L67 and in theory should do the trick.

Hope this helps!

yeah thats what i was trying to say (wasnt very clear was it lol)... sweet ill do that then
just got confused with people saying the pcv's needed blocking off or something

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
One of the most underated mods, by many even on here.

Catch Can must be a sealed unit(Not vented) to pass roadworthy.... I used an Elite catch can and reckon it's helped a tad with the economy.

MACE

Reaction score