Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil change before 15,000kms?

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
won't hurt to Drop it, as it'll still be 12,000kms till the first service. Is the oil black black?

I dropped mine at 1,000 and 6000 when I swapped to ULX 110 Mineral oil.

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
I was surprised to read that the first oil change for my VF SSV doesn't happen until 15,000kms! Am I just a dinosaur living in the past thinking that, now I've hit 3000kms I should drop and change the oil and filter myself?

What have other VF owners done/thoughts?

Changed mine at 3000kms and again at 7500kms, will get Holden to do it at 15000kms.

Nah cost-cutting on the VF means there are no underbody aero plates to worry about taking off / putting on, checking to see the shop didn't throw away (happened to me).

Is the V8 different to the V6? My SV6 has a big aero plate under the entire engine.

Just go by the servicing schedule specified by holden you can't go wrong.... If it needed changing before 15 they would have put it in the schedule

Haha, of course they would have... That's why they quote "sealed for life" on transmissions etc.
They quote 15,000kms servicing to lower the perceived operating costs of a vehicle. The oil might last 15,000kms, but for the sake of $80 it's money well spent in my books changing it at half intervals (7500kms)

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
I dropped mine at 1,000 and 6000 when I swapped to ULX 110 Mineral oil.
A mate who bought a WRX and asked how he should drive it before 1st service

he was told by the Subaru mechanic to '' Drive it like you stole it for the first thousand kays, bring it back and we'll dump the oil ''

6LVFSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
8 extra oil changes,$800 extra spent.
+ time and mess.
I get none of that and I can't imagine that'd double the life of an engine.
It's the same with any group with a passion for their vehicle,they all love an excuse to work on their beast and feel they are doing a great job.
Also,don't think the engineers at GM don't do the cost analysis on oil change intervals vs engine life.That is their livelihood.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Only reason for 15k service is to sell more fleet cars by lowering service cost. The fleet cars are not kept for 6 or so years past warranty like mine. I will stick to good qual oil and change it at proper intervals, not 15,000km.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
+ time and mess.
It's the same with any group with a passion for their vehicle,they all love an excuse to work on their beast and feel they are doing a great job.
Also,don't think the engineers at GM don't do the cost analysis on oil change intervals vs engine life.That is their livelihood.

I have one word for you: Alloytec.

If that engine is designed with 15,000 km intervals in mind I will eat a bowl of testicles.

Of course they do a cost analysis. They also know how to sell ****.

They know how to combine milking the owner for the service costs / making it sound good on paper / increasingly engine life.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I've clocked over 1 million kms in my cars, and besides the rebuilds on the EH, not one car has has the rocker/valve covers off them and most have lived to over 200,000kms before I sell them. One thing my father taught me was that fluids are the blood in your car, change them often. Engine and gearbox and brake/clutch fluids, it's a no brainer.

rhino6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF
Just go by the servicing schedule specified by holden you can't go wrong.... If it needed changing before 15 they would have put it in the schedule

It's reading things like this that remind me why I stopped buying used cars.

+ time and mess.

Surely you can spare 1 hour a couple of times a year? As for the $800, I think it's cheap insurance. I put 1200L of fuel through my ute last year, the price of oil is isn't worth worrying about. You couldn't even buy half a weeks groceries for the cost of an oil change.

To the OP, I thought I would halve the service intervals. The oil at 7000 k's was a bit dirty looking and I wished I had done it a bit sooner.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
+ time and mess.

Just remember holden run on 9months or 15000kms(what comes first), if your cars 2 yrs old and you get the 15000kms service your warranty might be out the book

The oil at 7000 k's was a bit dirty looking and I wished I had done it a bit sooner.

We have 3 VE's in the garage and all get oil changes at 7500, even our dual fuel berlina which does a lots of highway kms(just clicked over 90000) etc still has black oil at 7500kms

Change ya oil(use good quality stuff) cheap insurance, theres some horrible pics on this sight with sludge build up

+ time and mess.

It could help heaps more than double theres a thread with a 120000km engine ruined by poor servicing sludge build up

BOMB-A-DORE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 commodore & VE SV6 Ute.
Changed mine at 3000kms and again at 7500kms, will get Holden to do it at 15000kms.

Is the V8 different to the V6? My SV6 has a big aero plate under the entire engine.

Haha, of course they would have... That's why they quote "sealed for life" on transmissions etc.
They quote 15,000kms servicing to lower the perceived operating costs of a vehicle. The oil might last 15,000kms, but for the sake of $80 it's money well spent in my books changing it at half intervals (7500kms)

I would like to change the oil at 7500kms...but that plate under the engine is a problem....you have to undo 5 or so bolts to access the drain plug and remove the plate and reinstall...seeing it is 9 months/15000kms oil changes and to keep it under warranty I will go the 3 years....but after that I was going to cut a wide slot in that plate so you could access the drain plug without removing the aero plate...any thoughts on this.