Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Change gone wrong

leonz1982

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series 2 V6 Commodore Lumina
Hi guys,

Trying to change the engine oil on my VX commodore today and things went a little wrong.

Put the engine flush in the engine and ran it for 15min, but when I got under the car trying to drain the oil the sump plug was too tight and I ended up stripping the head of the bolt. Now its rounded and all sockets and wrenches are slipping!

It was 4:30pm when this happened and I thought I run the car down to a mechanic so I drove the car down there (approx 20Km return) but they were closed by the time I got there. I will have to take it back again tomorrow.

On the engine flush bottle it say not to drive the car with the flush in the engine, my question is have done the unthinkable here?!!! or is a little low speed driving okay?? Or may I should arrange to have the car towed tomorrow? The car only have 60,000kms on it.

Some advices will be much appreciated!!!

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Had the same issue once before, get a big pair of vice grips and clamp it as hard as you can, if you have car ramps use them, but really do not drive the car you could cause some damage. Or get a mobile mechanic if you can

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I wouldnt be driving it if the flush product says not to, it will probably stuff the engine. Id get a flat file and file some new flats around the sump plug where theyve been stripped, just file it down to the next size socket and tap the socket on so it fits nice and tight and cant slip again.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Why did you even flush it with such low
k's?

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Set of stilsons. Will do the trick.

220px-Pipewrench.jpg

Last edited:

leonz1982

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well, I usually add a bottle of engine flush at every oil change. This is the first time I worked on this car cos it use to be worked by some mechanic. They must have tighten the sump plug with ####ing torque wrenches or something! Now I'm kinda stuck. Poping down to supercheap auto's tomorrow morning to see if I can find a right tool to undo the rounded sump plug, if not I might have to have it towed.

Why did you even flush it with such low
k's?

leonz1982

Reaction score
Members Ride
Really? Will this undo a rounded bolt?

d.k.vmatt

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS
well stillsions are also know as pipe wrench so they are perfect for round things

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
I think you might find that Stilsons have a 'squeeze' action, like pliers, otherwise they are very similar. The pic above is a pipe wrench and I did the same once on my VT and the pipe wrench solved it. Have only done my own oil changes since and never had the problem since.