Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil change soon message

PatH

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore
Hi all
Zb petrol V6 , 23k on clock. Last service at 12.5 K km.

Oil says 7% remaining. Change oil soon message also appearing. Car being serviced on the 8th of December (will do another 600 km by then)

The dipstick is showing a little above minimum at the moment.

Am I ok to wait for the service? Or should I top up the oil myself now?
Any advice much appreciated (zero mechanical knowledge so please nothing too complicated )

1qazwsx4

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore sedan RS
Hi all
Zb petrol V6 , 23k on clock. Last service at 12.5 K km.

Oil says 7% remaining. Change oil soon message also appearing. Car being serviced on the 8th of December (will do another 600 km by then)

The dipstick is showing a little above minimum at the moment.

Am I ok to wait for the service? Or should I top up the oil myself now?
Any advice much appreciated (zero mechanical knowledge so please nothing too complicated )
If you're planning to do another 600 kms I would definitely top it up with the recommended oil asap. Usually the difference between MIN and MAX on a dipstick is about 1liter but it's always better to add small amounts (200ML then less as it gets closer to full) at a time, wait a few mins then check dipstick and put in more if needed. Personally, I wouldn't even drive it for a day knowing that it's that low but I'm paranoid and do services every 10k kms/yearly even will fill synthetic oils.

PatH

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore
@1qazwsx4 thank you for your reply. I to tend to the paranoid end of the spectrum.
Do you know how I find out the correct oil to use? The manual says check with the dealer.....

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
@1qazwsx4 thank you for your reply. I to tend to the paranoid end of the spectrum.
Do you know how I find out the correct oil to use? The manual says check with the dealer.....

oil finder on google.

5w-30 full synthetic

i use this in mine

1qazwsx4

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore sedan RS
See stooges response below, he's very helpful in these forums also just a little tip: usually it says what type of oil you need under your oil cap/somewhere on it (some brands of oils are better than others and your car may require certain characteristics) but it will still beat no oil haha.
oil finder on google.

5w-30 full synthetic

i use this in mine
Out of curiosity, do you know if there's much difference between penrites normal 5w30 vs their enviro? The enviro is usually alot cheaper here in nz even though both are full synthetic. Would you recommend the same for the LTG 2L engine too?

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Out of curiosity, do you know if there's much difference between penrites normal 5w30 vs their enviro? The enviro is usually alot cheaper here in nz even though both are full synthetic. Would you recommend the same for the LTG 2L engine too?

i am not sure what the difference is, i usually just go with the preferred/recommended penrite product for my vehicles.
i have used penrite for years on all sorts of vehicles and i have never had a problem with it so i just stick with it, there are probably better oils on the market.

PatH

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore
@stooge & 1qazwsx4 Thank you both for your assistance, much appreciated.