Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil change

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
If you don't want lifter noise change oil every 5K ... If you want lifter noise change oil every 15K

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
If you don't want lifter noise change oil every 5K ... If you want lifter noise change oil every 15K

I do mine every 5000km but thinking of 7500km given I use good synth oil. Surely that is a reasonable service interval based on Holden's handbook i.e. extreme driving condition (stop start driving in my case).

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I do mine every 5000km but thinking of 7500km given I use good synth oil. Surely that is a reasonable service interval based on Holden's handbook i.e. extreme driving condition (stop start driving in my case).
7500 is fine using good oil. Probably overkill actually unless all those ks are 5 minute trips to the shops. What colour is the oil you drain out at 5000k? I'm guessing still very light honey.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
7500 is fine using good oil. Probably overkill actually unless all those ks are 5 minute trips to the shops. What colour is the oil you drain out at 5000k? I'm guessing still very light honey.

At 5000km the oil is light brown.
I only do It as holden does logbook service and I do interim one myself....
I drive car to work every day in **** Sydney traffic...
Leaving it in there for 9 months is probably just a bit over what I am comfortable with.
With all my cars in the past few years I always did 7500km or 6 months which always coincide...
If i did more highway/long distance driving...I would be fine with 10 000km interval.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Hello. How often would you change the engine oil on the VF? Every 5000k or would you go 15000k? I think 15000 is too long. Thanks.

If you drive in stop-start traffic every day, and never get to consistent open road running speed, then change around 7,000km. Long open road driving at high speed means the oil certainly will hold up to 15,000km, and that interval is fine for thst style of driving (it's what I do, every day - no suburban driving. Is somebody now going to tell me my VF is going to pack up and explode!? :rolleyes:).

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ Your VF is going to pack up and explode :rolleyes:

Happy now your request has been fulfilled :p

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
^ Your VF is going to pack up and explode :rolleyes:

Happy now your request has been fulfilled :p

Not a chance!
Serviced today, (oil + filter, cabin pollen filter, air filter, trans. check, brakes checked, no codes logged, but battery in remotes both changed) and in spiffingly, spritely good order. Off to Goulburn tomorrow, then Port Lincoln/SA next week.