Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil changes - how often

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
It used to be a lot easier with the old motors, the hilux got the oil changed when it got cloudy and you couldn't read the add or full Mark's on the dipstick. It had just on 500ks on it when l sold it, and it wasn't burning any oil, even more importantly no engine knocks or valve train noise. It was as quiet as the proverbial church mouse. This was a 2.2 petrol motor and the oil was changed with the correct specification of whatever was on special at Repco. Now with this L76 it needs a special oil, an oil with a high concentration of hydraulic fluid and a full synthetic.
This oil must be changed every 7-8ks or 12 months, whichever comes first. At startup its slapping like an old moll,(not the oils fault admittedly), the injector noise, again not the oils fault. The valve train noise is however and this is on an engine that has had annual 7-8ks services and 85ks on the clock. So when the slap noise diminishes there's always the injector and valve train din to look forward to. After the high performance sports bikes, l wanted a car with a reasonable amount of performance, but the Holden L motors come with far to much baggage.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I would

I change the oil after driving a new car or bike home from the dealers, I typically do my engine break in on the drive/ride home

Used cars get the same treatment
Definitely understand changing fluids and filters after break-in period :cool: Can even understand a few quick successive oil changes after break-in period :D

However, with an older car, for example, one gets a service and drives 25 kms home but the next day they are sent O/S for 6 months for work… On returning after 6 months, with gne car not having been driven, only placed on a battery maintainer, IMO the oil won’t need changing as it’s only done those 25km and being exposed to air for just 6 months. The reality is that little if any oxidation would have occurred and the additives would still be ok (as was shown in the video I posted with that oil having traveled 3000 miles)…

IMO it’s not required but if people want to change their oil, obviously they are free to do it. It’s their money and their choice for good engine life insurance.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I would be driving the Caprice.
I’d be rotating through all cars but wouldn’t drive the nice ones when going to the shops and parking at the shopping centre. The relative clunker would be used in such cases tasks.

I‘d definitely be driving the GTS much more cause, IIRC, VFSV6FORME’s kids don’t seem to appreciate the vehicle and it’s heritage so why preserve it for them or someone else for that matter… Drive and enjoy before we‘re pushing up daisies…

Which reminds me, I must go for a drive in my clunker (cause service is due soon and it needs those oil additives used up) :p:p:p

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I’d be rotating through all cars but wouldn’t drive the nice ones when going to the shops and parking at the shopping centre. The relative clunker would be used in such cases tasks.

I‘d definitely be driving the GTS much more cause, IIRC, VFSV6FORME’s kids don’t seem to appreciate the vehicle and it’s heritage so why preserve it for them or someone else for that matter… Drive and enjoy before we‘re pushing up daisies…

Which reminds me, I must go for a drive in my clunker (cause service is due soon and it needs those oil additives used up) :p:p:p
I've mentioned before we should catch up and talk about our special editions in person

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
A bit of overkill unless high K's or city driving,every 12 Months should suffice and keep the internals clean.
Just my opinion.
City driving almost always

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
However, with an older car, for example, one gets a service and drives 25 kms home but the next day they are sent O/S for 6 months for work… On returning after 6 months, with gne car not having been driven, only placed on a battery maintainer, IMO the oil won’t need changing as it’s only done those 25km and being exposed to air for just 6 months. The reality is that little if any oxidation would have occurred and the additives would still be ok (as was shown in the video I posted with that oil having traveled 3000 miles)…
A mate of mine bought my old VE2 SSVR sedan, it was like brand new, never been driven on a wet road with 6200km's. I'd changed the oil just before he bought the car and I drove it 15km's and parked it in his storage unit. The car has sat there for 5 years with a cover on it, I guess a more extreme end of extended service intervals with clean oil. The engine's never been started to further contaminate the oil but it's hard to predict the condition of a sump full of 5 year old oil, something I've never really tested.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
… The car has sat there for 5 years with a cover on it, I guess a more extreme end of extended service intervals with clean oil. The engine's never been started to further contaminate the oil but it's hard to predict the condition of a sump full of 5 year old oil, something I've really tested.
A little unclear.. did you mean something you’ve ”really” or “rarely“ tested? auto correct can do odd things :p

If not tested, maybe have your mate grab a sample of that 15km 5 year old oil and get a test done. Then post the results here, for the greater good of JC members :p:p:p

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
A little unclear.. did you mean something you’ve ”really” or “rarely“ tested? auto correct can do odd things :p
My apology, something I've "never" really tested it should read.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
A mate of mine bought my old VE2 SSVR sedan, it was like brand new, never been driven on a wet road with 6200km's. I'd changed the oil just before he bought the car and I drove it 15km's and parked it in his storage unit. The car has sat there for 5 years with a cover on it, I guess a more extreme end of extended service intervals with clean oil. The engine's never been started to further contaminate the oil but it's hard to predict the condition of a sump full of 5 year old oil, something I've never really tested.
You did say that.
edited. Just realised its been edited.

Last edited: