Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oil check light when accelerating from lights

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Hey all, got a Vx ls1. Took off a little quick from the lights and the oil light popped up.

This is the first time its done it, I pulled over and checked the oil. Oil level is fine hasn't used any since it's last change.

Should I be worried?

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Also is it saved in the memory? I have a obd cable which let's me clear/read fault codes. Worth while plugging it in?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Could just be a loose wire on the Oil pressure switch, have seen that before.....on hard acceleration the wire moved and caused the light to flick on.

I would get an oil pressure gauge ASAP though and check to make sure it's not something more serious like an oil pump, pickup or even a dud oil filter.

Remember, even a few seconds with no oil pressure can kill a motor.....so be careful.

Personally I wouldn't be driving it until you know whats going on

Heffer_Slayer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Plugged in my obd and no trouble codes were detected. Is like to think of it was something serious it would be stored in the codes.

Was only that one time under acceleration. The car did rock slightly so it would have been a miss read from the sensor or like you said loose wire. Where is the switch BTW?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Plugged in my obd and no trouble codes were detected. Is like to think of it was something serious it would be stored in the codes.

Was only that one time under acceleration. The car did rock slightly so it would have been a miss read from the sensor or like you said loose wire. Where is the switch BTW?

I'm not sure if you get a code for low oil pressure.....pretty sure you only get one from no oil pressure at all

The oil pressure switch is the sensor with wires running out of it on your oil pump

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
The car did rock slightly so it would have been a miss read from the sensor or like you said loose wire.

Did it rock and make a noise from the engine????
Pickup could be partly blocked.