Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Choice - 3.8L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S1 V6
Just a random question for all VS 6 pak owners regarding engine oil. What have you found to be a good quality oil? Just for reference, mine has 220 xxx thou on the clock

Personally, I've run a few..

1- Castrol GTX-3:rip:, Proved to be too thin and oil consumption was pretty high, due to my motor being a series 1, therefore 'loose'

2- Valvoline Engine Armour;), A good all round oil, quite thick but got contaminated really fast

3- Penrite HPR 15:dance:, Best of the bunch i've found so far, she uses hardly any oil and runs like a dream, still taps away but.

Also, can anyone suggest a good quality oil filter to run on my little ecotec? I've just been running ryco items.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
As you have found , you need at least 20W50 oil to slow down the oil consumption. Forget about any 10W40, 15W40 etc.
by the way, there are loads of threads on these topics already , and there's an oil filter thread raging at the moment so i'm not touching that Q.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S1 V6
Thanx for that info, will do a search on these threads. Can a moderator or someone close this topic? Thanks

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
i use mobile 1 5w50 it hasnt used and oil and runs perfectly i had a look under my rocker covers and its spotless totally clean, im very happy with it and i use a ryco oil filter they do the job fine for a stock N/A engine

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Currently we have 3 ecotechs (1vs, 2 vts) all now running HPR 15 with AC Delco filters.

VT - 265,000+kms - Absolutly loves penrite, doesnt make a single rattle, doesnt use any oil, also oil always comes out with a little bit of colour in it after 10,000km's.

VS - 225,000+km's - Works great with penrite, doesnt appear to be using any except the bees dick thats leaking out the sump washer (replacing next oil change).

VT - 175,000+km's - Make a rattle on startup, but also this leaks a **** load, its mums partners car and he refuses to fix it properly, so not my problem.

From using the same oil on 3 engines the same, just different Km's all I can think of is either HPR15 is more suited to higher km cars, or the leaks are also effecting the oil pressure, which is most likely aswell.

Troy5L

building a lemon
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gu patrol td42
use desiel oil, ive heard it works a treat with commodores with 220,000km's

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
if you like penrite and you need 20w or above. Penrite HPR30 is your answer, its 20W-60 and its also my favorite oil :thumbsup: top notch stuff.