Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil consumtion on Alloytec?

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Ok my SV6 has been using a bit over a litre in 5000k. Any one else's alloytec have an oil consumption problem? Also is there any way to fix this as the service interval is 15k so the oil should last for that long but mines needs topping up after 5k??

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Glazed bores was the problem with my Dad's Ford once. He chaged the type of oil and towed the van in 3rd. Fixed it in 1 oil chage. 1lt in 5,000 is way too much.....

If it's burning oil it's getting past the rings some how. I'd do a compression test see if any are low on compression. If so yep something is wrong and proabably not cheap to fix. If it's broken rings they end up killing the engine by snapping of small parts of the piston and going through the oil and bearings.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
I thought about low compression but the car has been on the dyno and is running good healthy power. The problem is its a pain to do a compression test as the intake manifold has to come off. Its due for its next service very soon so i guess i can get my mechanic to do a comp test when he changes the Spark plugs.

mattsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SENATOR
Hey mate,

While the service interval says 15k, chances are most of us are driving the car a little harder than the average user. I've heard the Alloytec engine's are quite sensitive to the quality of oil used so it might be a good idea to look at changing your oil and filter every 7.5k or 6 months.

It's really simple to change yourself (let me know if you'd like some guidelines) and because you're not paying a mechanic you can put in some higher quality oil. I'm currently running Castrol edge 5W-30 full synthetic oil and have had no issues with consumption :yeah:

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey mate,

While the service interval says 15k, chances are most of us are driving the car a little harder than the average user. I've heard the Alloytec engine's are quite sensitive to the quality of oil used so it might be a good idea to look at changing your oil and filter every 7.5k or 6 months.

It's really simple to change yourself (let me know if you'd like some guidelines) and because you're not paying a mechanic you can put in some higher quality oil. I'm currently running Castrol edge 5W-30 full synthetic oil and have had no issues with consumption :yeah:

Yeah i am using the same oil as Phreddy and he has no oil consumption issues. I drive normally 80% of the time so it worry's me that it is using so much oil. I already do the 7-8k services intervals but it needs to be topped up with a bit over a litre before 5k is even done. :bang:

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
Im with mattsv6 with regards to the service intervals. There is no way in the world that I would let a car go for 15k without changing the oil. Depending on how many kms you actually travel in a year, I would do an oil change every 6mnths regardless of kms travelled, otherwise every 5k-7.5k if this comes up sooner than 6mnths.

If you change the oil this often, then its not really just about the quality/longevity of the oil so much. If you use a main manufacturers oil eg Castrol, Mobil, Shell, Penrite, etc and viscosity anywhere between 5w-30 and 10w-40 then you should be fine. Semi-synthetic is fine to use if changing oil this regularly. Oil only averages cost of $30-$50 for semi-synthetic and then the filter about $16 retail at Holden. $40-$70 every 6mnths or so is really a minimal amount for the health of your engine :)

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah i am using the same oil as Phreddy and he has no oil consumption issues. I drive normally 80% of the time so it worry's me that it is using so much oil. I already do the 7-8k services intervals but it needs to be topped up with a bit over a litre before 5k is even done. :bang:

What brand and viscosity oil do you use. How many kms has your car done. What mods have been done on your car? The 20% of the time when you aren't driving normally, how would you class your driving?

Heaps of variables about oil usage. Maybe you may have a compression issue, but hopefully not and your motor just chooses to be a little bit more oil hungry without any other issues.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
What brand and viscosity oil do you use. How many kms has your car done. What mods have been done on your car? The 20% of the time when you aren't driving normally, how would you class your driving?

Heaps of variables about oil usage. Maybe you may have a compression issue, but hopefully not and your motor just chooses to be a little bit more oil hungry without any other issues.

I use Nulon 10-40 full synthetic. 87,000k's, Just a VCM tune, When i drive it hard i rev it to redline and give it a hard time but i dont drive like that often. The motor is making good power on the dyno so i would say compression would be ok.

sv6_06

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ MY06 SV6
yeah dude, Tahst too much oil, I do a change on mine every 15K as I do 1000kms a week worth of driving so it gets a change every 3 months, mine doesnt use a drop of oil, done oil changes every 15K since new and it now has 90K on it with no probs

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
I use Nulon 10-40 full synthetic. 87,000k's, Just a VCM tune, When i drive it hard i rev it to redline and give it a hard time but i dont drive like that often. The motor is making good power on the dyno so i would say compression would be ok.

To me it does sound like too much oil usage. Maybe have a chat to a couple of local mechanics and see what they have to say also. Maybe its just a trait of your motor and nothing to worry about. But as said before, if your really worry, you may have to bite the bullet and get that compression test to put your worries to bed.

Goodluck with things.