Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil consumtion on Alloytec?

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Its a 5 speed auto mate. I know about .5L would be perfectly normal for about 6k but im using over a litre. At the end of the day the car pulls hard so as long as i keep an eye on the oil it should be ok. I just wanted to know how much oil most alloytecs are using. I will get a compression test done though to see if one or two of the cylinders are down a little.

I do know when i got my car VCM tuned at CHE it was only pulling 175rwhp when an SV6 should be around 190rwhp. After the tune we were able to get it to 195rwhp so it still must have decent compression. Dale did tell me the alloytecs were hit and miss motors, so perhaps the ones that are running a little less power use a bit more oil due to less compression which could cause excessive blow by.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
So mine isn't the only one that use some oil then. I will get the compression test done and post up the results. If the compression is good then it may be the hard time i do give it that 20% of the time :p

Thats wat i though until my dad told me that the amount that mine uses is normal.
My trips between home & work is only 6k's, so the eng doesn't get a chance to warm up but on weekends i can clock up 100-200k's.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thats wat i though until my dad told me that the amount that mine uses is normal.
My trips between home & work is only 6k's, so the eng doesn't get a chance to warm up but on weekends i can clock up 100-200k's.

Yeah im in the same boat. My trips to work are very short and the car hardly ever gets out on the highway. On top of that i can give the car a hard time here and there which is leading to my high oil consumption.

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Yeah me too, i like to give it at least 1 hwy trip a week.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Check the Owners Manual for the correct grade of oil. Don't skimp on quality (avoid cheap 'no-name' etc). Change the oil regularly. I change mine every 6 months or 7,500 km's. Make sure you put a new oil filter in at the same time. Waste of money to put new oil in and not change filter. Alloytec engine is well known for being fussy about oil quality and quantity. If you've been flogging it then change even more frequently. If it sounds as though I am going on about oil, then that's one of the secrets to longevity with that particular engine. Good luck.

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
when have you been checking the levels, and is it on flat, level ground? have you physically checked under the car for oil leaks?

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
when have you been checking the levels, and is it on flat, level ground? have you physically checked under the car for oil leaks?

Yep my old man's a mechanic so the oil level has been checked correctly and the car has been up on a hoist not long ago where i checked for any leaks. Also my car is parked in its own driveway so any leaks would be quite apparent.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
I read a number of posts til 'VCM Suite'. Yes your car is tuned, depending on how it's tuned will change absolutely everything.

Fair enough mine is tuned and I dont use any oil and I do bout 600km's a week....... but even so. As anyone would ever say to me 'change it back to a stock tune' and see if it improves.

And besides lets face it............ 5000km's it atleast 600litres of fuel. It's around an average of 10 weeks driving for most......... and how many times do u floor it in 10 weeks, take it to the red line?..... 1 litre out of 600litres of fuel, 10 weeks travel, 5000km's is nothing to worry about.

So short and sweet:

"It's normal". If you dont like the oil consumption, dont floor it, dont go past 4000rpm, go back to stock tune. VCM Tune "WILL" make your engine work "HARDER", it will increase temperatures of various components at different times above a stock level standard.

As I would say 'It is how it is, not necessarily how you want it to be' :D

One minor idea. Change your coolant. If it is the problem it'll cool the oil a bit better. Aside from that it's normal.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
I read a number of posts til 'VCM Suite'. Yes your car is tuned, depending on how it's tuned will change absolutely everything.

Fair enough mine is tuned and I dont use any oil and I do bout 600km's a week....... but even so. As anyone would ever say to me 'change it back to a stock tune' and see if it improves.

And besides lets face it............ 5000km's it atleast 600litres of fuel. It's around an average of 10 weeks driving for most......... and how many times do u floor it in 10 weeks, take it to the red line?..... 1 litre out of 600litres of fuel, 10 weeks travel, 5000km's is nothing to worry about.

So short and sweet:

"It's normal". If you dont like the oil consumption, dont floor it, dont go past 4000rpm, go back to stock tune. VCM Tune "WILL" make your engine work "HARDER", it will increase temperatures of various components at different times above a stock level standard.

As I would say 'It is how it is, not necessarily how you want it to be' :D

One minor idea. Change your coolant. If it is the problem it'll cool the oil a bit better. Aside from that it's normal.

I think your onto something with the coolant idea. I have already taken the car to the mech as i though it was running a little hot. I think the tune is why it runs a little hotter and could be why its using oil. Cheers mate.

edit: i take it to redline about once a day on average.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
oh, question. Do you have a tranny cooler? .... manual or auto ur tranmission and engine go thru the radiator......... so both being more stressed will probably cause both to use more.

I got a tranny cooler bout 2 weeks after i started tuning mine as i could see the temps rising :D... depends how much u throw at it really........ (tune wise)