Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Coolers

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone out there might be able to shed some light.

my cars a 1988 Toyota supra turbo, Factory it has a Engine oil cooler, for some reason my hoses have been blocked off. i want to connect a cooler up (to help reduce heat from the turbo and prolong my new motor. The car also has Oil squirters that cool the pistons, so as i push the motor i see this as fairly important.

My Oil system is a High Volume Low pressure system (galaries are large to avoid blocking) but as a result the system only runs at around 4-5psi on idle and as high as 10psi before the relief valve opens

now ive been told you cant use a Automatic transmission cooler as a Engine oil cooler due to the size of the passages, i don't see how this is important as currently blocked off there is no oil flow anyway. Sure transmission fluid is thinner than engine oil.

Anyway id like some opinions as i have a 30cm x 20xm "radiator" style transmission cooler and am considering using that.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
it has been about 8 months since did my last JZA80 supra, but if memory serves they use a piece of alloy pipe bent around in an oval shape for their oil coolers. it is fitted just in front of the rad. i dont know why they would have put a bigger one on an earlier model.

my concern would be that the 30cm oil cooler would take up a load of space in front of your radiator and block off much needed fresh air. i assume you have air cond as well, thus blocking it off further. or you could take the other option of mounting it flat to the ground, but once again due to the size there would be a huge risk of puncture from an errant rock or whatever from the road. mate, puncture that and you would go from 4.75 litres to 0 in a few seconds.

when you say "blocked off" what do you mean? in all honesty i would look at the later model JZA supra and copy the bent pipe idea. it wont block your radiator and would be strong enough to fend off road debris

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
mines not a JZA80 (thats MK4)

mines not even a JZA70, its a MA71 Grey Import which means built in japan then mass imported by the dealer and sold as new. (JZA is jap spec with the JZ designated block)

im not worried about blocking off flow to the radiator, the fan draws air through it regardless, and my aircon compressor is removed + i have a 600x300 FMIC there aswell. ive been told it will be ok.

it has a feed from the oil pump (via a valve which will only open under certain circumstances and returns to the sump.. its a factory setup, mines just been removed.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
i dont know why they would have put a bigger one on an earlier model.

i was aware of the model. i still wouldnt do it.

*edit* i wouldnt do it with a cooler that size. get something a more rugged from the wreckers. an ef falcon has a trans cooler fitted just behind the front bar after a factory recall mean that shops had to fit them as an after thought.

anyway they are tough as f.. flow well and dont take too much room. 15x15cm approx. and i got mine for 7 bucks from the wrecker.

joel448

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR LEXCEN/COMMODORE
or go after market and spend 150 dollars on a decent one man, whats the price of a new engine ?