Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

/Oil everywhere! Opinions

trav27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
hey guys, just a quick question. I just serviced the VT for the first time since buying it, i noticed there's oil almost everywhere in the engine bay. I just replaced the spark plugs and there was a little bit of oil on the old plugs too. I was thinking it could probably be the rocker cover gaskets? And/or the last person to service it made a complete mess lol. Either way though, it drives like a dream and ive never had an issue with it.
Any opinions/ideas would be appreciated, thanks :)

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Sounds to me like you have a slow leak somewhere.

Common problems on the ecotec are: Sump Gasket, Rocker Cover Gaskets, Inlet gaskets (though these won't make too much of a mess), Transmission sump gasket etc.

These would be the first things to look at, I would hose down/pressure clean the undercarriage of the car then try and pin point exactly where its coming from as only one part should start getting oily at a time.

My Ecotec's sump gasket is on the way out and has a bit of a leak at the back of the sump, but it still holds its oil pressure and doesn't leak enough to warrant replacing it at this stage, its a pretty normal thing

Killr6

tutut
Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR6T
first of all you should really clean the engine, get some Degreaser and go for you life, make sure to cover your electrical's though.

then if there is a leak it will show you where its coming from.

trav27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
Hey guys, quick question!
I'm going to replace the rocker cover gaskets tomorrow, that's something ive never done before though. So i just wanted to double check:
*With the accelerator cable, is it simply just taking off the one bolt to loosen the assembly?
*Do i need to remove/loosen the alternator? If so, how do i go about doing that? (V6)
And is there any other useful things i should know before going ahead with it?
Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated!

vxcustom

VXXX
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx v6 executive
You will need to remove the intake pipe from the throttle body, undo the three nuts holding the accelerator cable to the side of the throttle body, using a small flat blade screw driver, place end under the lip of the connector at the end of the accelerator cable and lever off. When you are putting it all back together please be careful if you adjust the accelerator cable using the two nuts on the cable itself as the cable has a plastic core with the thread on it and these can become brittle and break very easily.