Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil extraction from dipstick chamber??

anomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Berlina International Sportswagon3.0
Trying to get tubing to the sump in a V6 Holden so that I can do my own oil changes quickly I come up 100mm short of bottom using the same OD size tubing as the oil level indicator. Never seeing a V6 sump stripped down I am guessing that the oil level indicator on the more flexible stainless steel wire kicks away somehow before bottoming out. Any thoughts please.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Do you not have a drain plug on the sump? Or are you talking about a transmission?

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
I've seen those little suction pumps that are on eBay where you stick a tube down the dipstick and suck out the oil.....is ridiculous. (in my opinion)

Just do it the traditional way.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I can understand wanting to drain a transmission this way but what is the point with an engine, unless you don't have a sump plug spanner, the plug is overtight, or rounded off?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if u drain from the bottom any gunk that is sitting there will get drawn out with it, but if its sucked out from the top (sumps have crank splash guards so tube may not even reach the bottom) then u are leaving all the gunk at the bottom to build up over time

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Not such a bad idea if you can get the drain tube to go all the way down the dipstick hole. I used to do this every second change on an FG Ecoboost Falcon that had a really large aero cover underneath that meant I had to undo about 10 bolts to get to the sump plug. Although an easier solution might have been to cut some holes in the cover to allow access to the sump plug and filter. As long as you get say 95% of the oil out of a warm engine this would be good enough, if for example you changed oil at 9500 kms instead of 10 kms - since 5 % of oil is dirty post change. Good sump pumps come with a fairly strong and thin plastic tube that will often reach the bottom of the sump, see below for example...

https://cassellmarine.com.au/products/oil-extractor-6-5-ltr-pela-6500

Probably a lot of cheap copies out there, but I bought one of these and it's quite good. Probably also suitable for partial fluid changes on an auto, and I did use it to repeatedly do partial changes on power steering with good effect.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Shell Service Centres did this years a go, advertising 30min Oil Changes, didn't last long,
as they had a fair few complaints and warranty repairs I heard,
Not surprised really, as mentioned above, it would not of drained all the oil gunk/sediment from the sump, nor allow the old oil drain from the pickup.
So they went back to traditional method, drop the sump plug, to drop the oil, and change the filter.

Last edited:

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Shell Service Centres did this years a go, advertising 30min Oil Changes, didn't last long,

Yeah,when i was at School in the 1960's the local S/Stn. had one of these self serve oil changes,free as long as you purchased the Oil from them. As you say they didn't last long,around 2 years IIRC,too many dramas.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Not surprised really, as mentioned above, it would not of drained all the oil gunk/sediment from the sump, nor allow the old oil drain from the pickup.
So they went back to traditional method, drop the sump plug, to drop the oil, and change the filter.
Are they just that LAZY to take the Plug off FF Sake

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I can change the oil in my VE in less than 10 minutes, and I undo the sump plug without lifting the car, just reach under and use the appropriate spanner and drop the old oil off into a plastic tub.
VE oil filter is a breeze, and would be the easiest oil filter on any of the many many cars I've changed oil and filters on.
Why would you bother sucking it out, probably leaving crud in the bottom of the sump?