Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil extraction from dipstick chamber??

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by anomad, Aug 16, 2019.

1. anomad

anomad New Member

Members Ride:
    2011 VE Berlina International Sportswagon3.0
    Trying to get tubing to the sump in a V6 Holden so that I can do my own oil changes quickly I come up 100mm short of bottom using the same OD size tubing as the oil level indicator. Never seeing a V6 sump stripped down I am guessing that the oil level indicator on the more flexible stainless steel wire kicks away somehow before bottoming out. Any thoughts please.

2. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Do you not have a drain plug on the sump? Or are you talking about a transmission?

3. DAJOKER

DAJOKER Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE SV6 II Wagon
    I've seen those little suction pumps that are on eBay where you stick a tube down the dipstick and suck out the oil.....is ridiculous. (in my opinion)

Just do it the traditional way.

07GTS likes this.
  4. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    I can understand wanting to drain a transmission this way but what is the point with an engine, unless you don't have a sump plug spanner, the plug is overtight, or rounded off?

losh1971 likes this.
  5. 07GTS

07GTS Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VEGTS BLOWN E85
    if u drain from the bottom any gunk that is sitting there will get drawn out with it, but if its sucked out from the top (sumps have crank splash guards so tube may not even reach the bottom) then u are leaving all the gunk at the bottom to build up over time

losh1971 likes this.
  6. MattSAU2XR8

MattSAU2XR8 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS Auto 2007
    Not such a bad idea if you can get the drain tube to go all the way down the dipstick hole. I used to do this every second change on an FG Ecoboost Falcon that had a really large aero cover underneath that meant I had to undo about 10 bolts to get to the sump plug. Although an easier solution might have been to cut some holes in the cover to allow access to the sump plug and filter. As long as you get say 95% of the oil out of a warm engine this would be good enough, if for example you changed oil at 9500 kms instead of 10 kms - since 5 % of oil is dirty post change. Good sump pumps come with a fairly strong and thin plastic tube that will often reach the bottom of the sump, see below for example...

https://cassellmarine.com.au/products/oil-extractor-6-5-ltr-pela-6500

Probably a lot of cheap copies out there, but I bought one of these and it's quite good. Probably also suitable for partial fluid changes on an auto, and I did use it to repeatedly do partial changes on power steering with good effect.

7. krusing

krusing Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
    Shell Service Centres did this years a go, advertising 30min Oil Changes, didn't last long,
    as they had a fair few complaints and warranty repairs I heard,
    Not surprised really, as mentioned above, it would not of drained all the oil gunk/sediment from the sump, nor allow the old oil drain from the pickup.
    So they went back to traditional method, drop the sump plug, to drop the oil, and change the filter.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  8. HarryHoudini

HarryHoudini Active Member

Members Ride:
    1991 VN ..2012 VE Sportwagon.
    Yeah,when i was at School in the 1960's the local S/Stn. had one of these self serve oil changes,free as long as you purchased the Oil from them. As you say they didn't last long,around 2 years IIRC,too many dramas.

9. VFSV6FORME

VFSV6FORME Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VF SV6 STORM Series 1, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
    Are they just that LAZY to take the Plug off FF Sake

10. gossie

gossie Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE International 3.6L
    I can change the oil in my VE in less than 10 minutes, and I undo the sump plug without lifting the car, just reach under and use the appropriate spanner and drop the old oil off into a plastic tub.
    VE oil filter is a breeze, and would be the easiest oil filter on any of the many many cars I've changed oil and filters on.
    Why would you bother sucking it out, probably leaving crud in the bottom of the sump?

11. MattSAU2XR8

MattSAU2XR8 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE SS Auto 2007
    I tend to agree - if its not a nightmare to get at the sump plug then little benefit in using a sump pump.

If the car does need a bit of a lift often just putting a few timbers under the front wheels will given enough lift - with the VE SS I bought four pieces of (I think) 75 by 75 by 900 rough sawn treated pine. Cost about $15 and would just put two next to each other in front of each front wheel, then drive up onto them. Gave plenty of room and at $15 and only 90 cms long easy enough to get rid of in the wheelie bin if no longer needed :)

12. mantaray56

mantaray56 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VE II SV6 Z
    You will find that the oil tube has a bend and crimp in it that will not allow the tube of the oil extractor to get to bottom of pan. at least it did in mine (series 2 V6).

13. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
    You need to do the job correctly, especially with an Alloytech/SIDI V6 sludge pump.

VS_Pete, gossie and losh1971 like this.
  14. Fu Manchu

Fu Manchu Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ V6