Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil filter- cartridge. Is there one available with a non return valve?

BerlinaBen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S2 V6 + VZ Acclaim Wagon
Hi,
I was about to change the oil on my VZ and I already have a new cartridge for the filter, but I got to wondering if it was possible to get a cartridge that has a non return valve in it?
The reason is, my car has always had a nasty rattle at the top of the engine when it is first started for about 3 or 4 seconds. It makes my teeth grind every time I hear it.:eek: From What 've heard it is pretty common for this engine. Oil changes do imorove the rattle. It only lasts about a second after a new oil change, but it slowly gets longer as the oil gets older. I know a lot of the jap imports run with oil filters with non return valves to keep the oil up the top after switching off and figured there is probly one for the alloytechs as well.
Anyone ever seen/used one?

Reaction score
Members Ride
00' WH Stato LS1 A4
I have this rattle too when cold starting. It seems to be better when the car is run on 98 octane. Not sure about oil changes, I'll check next time i guess.

BerlinaBen

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Marcdon, To tell you the truth I'm not sure what grade of oil is in it. The last few services were done by Mechanics cos I haven't had time to do it. That said, it has done it ever since i've had the car and it has been serviced by Holden dealers for the first few services so I am assuming (probly a very big assumption?) that they used the specified grade. I've seen a few other posts relating to the same rattle on the VZ's so i think it may happen regularly with the VZ alloytechs.
XStatic64, I'd bet my left nut it's oil related, as opposed to fuel but I could be surprised. If the car has only sat for ten minutes or maybe half an hour there is barely a rattle, but first start in the morning or after work sounds shocking. Can't hear the engine over the rattle!
Ben.

BerlinaBen

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've been looking around but haven't been able to find the cartridge filters fitted with anti flow back valve. I guess they just don't exist. Will just use the standard cartridge i guess.

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
k&n offer one with anti-drain back.