Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Grade preferences for your LS3

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
I just flushed and replaced with HPR 5w 30 and the car loves it. I've got a CAI OTR and full high flow exhaust that is tuned of course.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
I just flushed and replaced with HPR 5w 30 and the car loves it. I've got a CAI OTR and full high flow exhaust that is tuned of course.

I was running that before the blower went on. It is good stuff isn't it.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Dropped into Supercheap today to see what Dexos1 oil they sell and its very little. They only sell Penrite 5W 30 Dexos1 and Nulon 5W 30 Dexos 1 (6L + 1 Ltr containers). Surprised they had noting in Dexos for Castrol products. The Guy at the shop said GM is trying to control this market as if you bring your car in for warranty and it doesn't have Dexos oil 1 in it you a screwed with your warranty.
Nulon 5W 30 Dexos 1 full synthetic oil
https://www.sparesbox.com.au/engine...c-long-life-6l-syn5w30-six-106143-syn5w30-six

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I buy oil in bulk. 5/40 castrol edge. So that's what the SSVR has had from new.

Engine is as quiet as
Surprised Supercheap had Nothing in Castrol with Dexos1

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
The Guy at the shop said GM is trying to control this market as if you bring your car in for warranty and it doesn't have Dexos oil 1 in it you a screwed with your warranty.

If the oil has the same or similar properties how does the dealer tell if the oil isn't Dexos approved unless they send it away for analysis?

Anyway under Australian consumer law GM has to legally prove your oil caused a problem to deny you warranty and that is a minefield they will never open up because it would become known that there are better oils and oils of equal quality available apart from the 'commission making' stuff GM try to force on their customers.

Since the introduction of Dexos certified oils this discussion of GM hoodwinking unsuspecting or naïve owners has been had all around the world and if you call the dealer out GM will back down straight away.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
If the oil has the same or similar properties how does the dealer tell if the oil isn't Dexos approved unless they send it away for analysis?

Anyway under Australian consumer law GM has to legally prove your oil caused a problem to deny you warranty and that is a minefield they will never open up because it would become known that there are better oils and oils of equal quality available apart from the 'commission making' stuff GM try to force on their customers.

Since the introduction of Dexos certified oils this discussion of GM hoodwinking unsuspecting or naïve owners has been had all around the world and if you call the dealer out GM will back down straight away.

This is just another way of scamming you but even then I will stick to Dexos1 but its a case that I'm not going to pay $350 for something that I can and have clearly done before with other new cars. Plus I don't want there BONUS of getting a dint on the car even though the Person that inspected it before said the dint was there when he checked it but what he didn't see was me Videoing the car fully before it went in with no dint's with time and date with dealership pics in the background.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
For guys that have a VF SV6 (MY15) can you please tell me what side of the Engine sump has the drain plug. Drivers side of the sump?, Passengers side?, Rear of the car side?, or front of sump. I've never attacked a SIDI Before to give it an oil change.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Surprised Supercheap had Nothing in Castrol with Dexos1

There are 29 Castrol oils on the Dexos1 list but none of them seem to be sold in Australia. Mobil 1 0w20, 0W30, 5W20 and 5W30 are all Dexos1 certified. You can get Mobil 1 5W30 at Supercheap but it's expensive ($90 for five litres).

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I buy oil in bulk. 5/40 castrol edge. So that's what the SSVR has had from new.

Engine is as quiet as

Havent tried it but supershit has it for $29.99 for 5L bottle sat 28th only