Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Grade preferences for your LS3

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
For guys that have a VF SV6 (MY15) can you please tell me what side of the Engine sump has the drain plug. Drivers side of the sump?, Passengers side?, Rear of the car side?, or front of sump. I've never attacked a SIDI Before to give it an oil change.

It's on the passenger side of the sump, very easy to see once you get under there. I use a piece of 90mm pvc pipe cut in half vertically to direct the flow of oil away from all the fixed components of the car and direct it down into the oil drain pan as the oil does come out quite fast and will coat parts of your car.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
It's on the passenger side of the sump, very easy to see once you get under there. I use a piece of 90mm pvc pipe cut in half vertically to direct the flow of oil away from all the fixed components of the car and direct it down into the oil drain pan as the oil does come out quite fast and will coat parts of your car.

So the oil comes out sideways with so much force that instead of going down it travels mega distance sideways hitting parts of the chassis or other parts. ****!!! Wonder what Holden Dealers use to stop this issue.
Giving an oil change to a 5.7L LS1 had a similar problem except it would not bath the car but it would make the oil initially come out sideways thus needing a big tray with 3 ice cream containers in a line to stop a mess.

Will get some 90 to 100 mm pipe and will see how long i will need it. Will slice it sideways.
How long is your pipe?

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Might have to buy from Bunnings a special container and fit the cut pipe to it to suit the Height of the car when I left it. It will give me things to do.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
My piece of pipe is approximately 300mm long and I either just hold it in place until the oil is falling vertically or cable tie it into position.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
arronm - Not sure how much it matters but be aware that Castrol Edge 5w-40 is Dexos 2.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
I use Mobil 1 on 5W30 weight and I have an L76 with AFM/DOD that is as dramatic as a 17 year old teenage girl. Drive the car from 15F to 118F temps and still strong as new; not a single lifter tick.

Even though, use it on a 94 Vitara and not an single engine leak.

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
True. But a quality synthetic oil will at minimum meet the requirements of dexos 1

Several dexos 1 certified oils are only semi-synthetic. I dont need a piece of paper to tell me which oil is superior.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Without sounding like an ad; Mobil 1 is recomended even on the Corvette engine. Is a good GM qualified oil at a good price; no need for boutique type of oils.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
My piece of pipe is approximately 300mm long and I either just hold it in place until the oil is falling vertically or cable tie it into position.

Sounds good for me. Will do it this way for simple use and the ability to clean both the container and the modified pipe.