Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Grade preferences for your LS3

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Without sounding like an ad; Mobil 1 is recomended even on the Corvette engine. Is a good GM qualified oil at a good price; no need for boutique type of oils.

Decisions, Decisions, and more decisions. All this Dexos stuff reminds me like what some say about Harvey Norman and you must buy FAT HDMI leads from them . Some will know what i'm talking about.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Castrol Edge 5w-40 is half price on 28th at one of the national chain stores (better not mention the store name here). I change oil/filter in between schedule services myself, so I am too fussy about getting the best oil. Any reasonable quality oil should be good enough for 7500 km.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Decisions, Decisions, and more decisions. All this Dexos stuff reminds me like what some say about Harvey Norman and you must buy FAT HDMI leads from them . Some will know what i'm talking about.

Dexos 1 is nothing more than a standard that GM use to give the seal of approval and/or what oil manufacturer meet GM's requirements. I say, use any GM approved Synthetic oil. I stick to one brand for the sake of consistency. If I am looking for brand of oil as my next choice, would be Castrol Syntec. One type of oil that I will definite stick with is Synthetic.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Having never changed oil/filter on a VF SIDI six before I got a shock of the small size the filter is. The Filter that I was given from Supercheap was a Ryco R2605P and its a cartridge/paper only type of oil filter ( no metal around it). Now because of this I would expect that you would have a canister of some type where the cartridge fits/pushes into it and then you screw/bolt the canister back on.
Can Someone explain to me what I will find when its Oil and Filter change time?
How do you remove the canister or whatever holds this paper oil filter in?. Do you need the typical but small oil filter removal tool, Do you need a special size socket with a long extension bar to remove the canister or whatever hold that push on paper filter.
Any special other tools required for the removal of the oil filter.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Last edited:

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
I have a 2016 Chevy Colorado with the 3.5 SIDI and have not changed the oil yet. The dealer gave me 2 free oil changes, will look into it after seen the video. Very odd place, same way like a Wankel Engine.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The subject of this thread is oil grade preferences for LS3 (V8) engines, not about SIDI (V6) oil filters. Create your own thread.

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
Have a VZ L98, VE L76 & my new VF LS3 run them all on Penrite 10-60 full synth no problems. Would not contemplate using any type of mineral oils in these engines.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
In that list there's nothing over a 30 weight oil. No 5W40 or 10W40 so it must be largely a fuel efficiency thing, ie an oil which lubricates sufficiently while achieving good fuel economy.
Oh well I've been using 5W40 oil since before the Dexos ratings came out so I'm sticking with that as it's always worked perfectly for me. Seems a bit like DexronVI, I've used non approved ATF in my trans which runs better than the approved stuff ...

SS Flo Rida

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series II SS W375
The subject of this thread is oil grade preferences for LS3 (V8) engines, not about SIDI (V6) oil filters. Create your own thread.

Have a VZ L98, VE L76 & my new VF LS3 run them all on Penrite 10-60 full synth no problems. Would not contemplate using any type of mineral oils in these engines.

I was talking with a LS nut who uses liquid moly 10/60 & said his oil temp was consistantly lower than the Penrite 10/60 during track day sessions and swears it's the best oil he's run out of all the popular brands. I think I'm learning towards the liquid moly for my next service. Bloody expensive tho!