Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil in airbox

madute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Storm Ute
Hi guys,

After doing a full service, I had to wait on an air filter to be ordered in by Repco. I went to replace the old filter 20 minutes ago and found the old one to be clogged with old oil and the recent fresh oil I had put in, to be inside the airbox.
Seems like this is a common issue and tends to be the PCV valve. Will have to take it back to the dealership on Monday.

Has anyone had a similar issue and was the PCV valve the solution?
Thank you!

Last edited:

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Which engine do you have please? Alloytec Std or SV6 ; V8

When you did the oil/filter change how much oil was dumped, and how much was used in the refill? Does dipstick read correctly?
Does it burn oil?
How many Km's?

Alloytec - Is the PCV hole at the rear of the odd cylinder head cover clear? Use a flexible pipe cleaner to go through both metering holes, about 2mm in diameter. It is moulded into the engine tappet cover and not removable. It may be gunked up. There is no spring loaded valve present.

The V8 - I am not familiar with their configuration but I think it is a built-in metering hole at the oil separator outlet located under the inlet manifold on some of the engines.

Last edited:

mad mick

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 2005 update
if pvc valve is shot you will need to replace rocker cover on that side think they are around $180 each plus rocker cover gaskets another $250 but you can get them off internet for around $100 non genuine try some wd40 in the holes and a bit of air to blow it out think there is a spring and ball inside that jam up with sludge also if you take rocker off and the engine is full of black sludge cleaning will only fix it short term engine will need full strip down and clean or new engine

madute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Storm Ute
PCV is the issue, going by what I have read and mad micks post it is built into the rocker cover?
Not as bad as I thought though :)

Last edited:

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
In the alloytec, the description as a Positive Crankcase Ventilation "valve' is a possibly misleading term but used for ease of description/location by many folk.

The function of the "PCV" metering in the alloytec tappet cover/engine cover is to provide a fixed orifice through which crankcase fumes etc. are fed to the inlet manifold.
Hence no spring loaded valve and nothing to service except to keep the metering orifices clear of gunk. A clean with WD40 seems to be an accepted fix. Another fix I've read about is to use carburetor cleaner which has an evaporative solvent action. The small quantity used in the cleaning action it is suggested does not overly dilute the engine oil. Fortunately I have not had to consider which cleaner to use.

The construction is two metal disks moulded into the tappet cover (Odd bank) and about a 2mm metering hole drilled through the centre of each disk.
This provides a compromise between an adequate vacuum at engine idle and evacuation of engine combustion/non combustion byproducts. The development of high performance engines and performance camshafts caused this shift in the "valve" concept to that of a controlled known flow rate so that inlet manifold vacuum is optimized to what the manufacturer/engine developer desires.

Taking the matter to the extreme, the Holden uses engine vacuum to operate the AC and heater functions. I don't know at what vacuum the solenoid systems fail to operate.

This link describes the performance issues with piston blowby
Measuring Blowby

Interestingly - One supplier in the article suggest more blowby at lower engine revs.

madute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Storm Ute
It's a v6 not a rocket ship, i think the word you're looking for is Rocker.

Man the way this thing goes you could mistake it for a rocket ship :)
Thanks for letting me know, I'll edit it mate. Fixed the PCV valve, cleaned out the intake and a week later no noticeable oil!
Fixed. Thanks guys!