Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil in radiator

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I remember when i done my manifold gasket that i had to remove the idler pulley and the two coolant tubes. The coolant tubes have orange "O" rings which didn't come with the gasket kit .

Schwarz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2000
I remember when i done my manifold gasket that i had to remove the idler pulley and the two coolant tubes. The coolant tubes have orange "O" rings which didn't come with the gasket kit .

Schwarz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2000
I'm about to do my LIM do you need to take off the hose nd idler

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
When I did mine I to had to remove the idle tensioner also the Alternator and thermostat housing, make sure to drain fluid from radiator first, more tips when cleaning the old gasket place a old towel over the valley, also before you remove the fuel rail pipes have the car running and pull the fuel pump fuse/ relay to drain it to release pressure on the pipes u will need a special tool to remove those lines.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Another tip i read about when scraping the intake gasket off is to spray some foaming shaving cream over the inlet ports in the heads to keep the old gasket from entering then vacuum it out when you're finished .

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I've noticed the idler pulley on the belt tensioner is noisy, is the bearing in the pulley replaceable?

I have the bearing part numbers recorded, as I did a full pulley replacement on my super6 of recent, purchased from Mace,
then pressed the old bearings out, purchased replacement bearings for the original pulleys from eBay, and now have a spare set on hand.
Where I replaced the plastic pulleys with steel ones, so I can replaced the bearings if, and when needed.

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Another tip i read about when scraping the intake gasket off is to spray some foaming shaving cream over the inlet ports in the heads to keep the old gasket from entering then vacuum it out when you're finished .

That's a new one, why not a car sponge or rags, I never had that problem with mine, just take it easy and don't gouge out the alloy when scrapping, probably notice some pit marks on the face I just put a smear of RTV on that spot the gasket was to seat. Have fun with it its a prick of a job to do on your own, oh probably pay to have a extra person to put the plenum back on top so you don't smudge the RTV, I did mine on me own but why strain your poo poo valve.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've noticed the idler pulley on the belt tensioner is noisy, is the bearing in the pulley replaceable?

Yes, if its a Idler Pully, and NOT the tension pulley
Its a 6203RS Bearing,
No, if its its a Plastic one, ditch it and get a steel one.

Last edited:

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
If its a plastic pulley then no. You will be lucky to press it out without damaging the pulley. A new steel one is 30 bucks a bearing is 15 at least anyway.

I replaced the plastic one with a steel one,
so now I can just press the bearing out, and replace it if it becomes a problem.