Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil in the coolant, but no coolant in the oil??

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
Not sure of a way of testing it mate, it was only an answer to ur question lol, but i would assume seeing as there is oil in the coolant (in the radiator) there would be water in the transmission of your car too.. Which is again not a good thing lol. It shouldnt be too hard finding a repalcement radiator for a possible fix, post up and dnt pay anymore than $30 or so, someone will have one.
Goodluck.

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
I have flushed my system before, it was clean then returned

maybe ill try replacing the lower manifold gasket and checking oil return lines etc.

I doubt its a radiator problem as it was replaced a few months before I purchased the car so i was told

Thanks for the suggestions guys

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP Excec; 95 II VR Equipe; 99 VT Exec
Har har, yer i've been told lotsa things that aren't even close to the truth when buying cars!! My rad looks brand spanka still, but who really knows, the whole engine bay looks clean.

And social, c'mon, you call yerself an apprentice spanner monkey?? I want answers man!!:computer: lol - nah serious thanks for the input! will check trans dipstick...

Reaction score
Members Ride
falcon
ill go trans tank split between water and trans fluid in radiator very common I'm told mine did it a few years back
was like ice coffee color and slimy
i was lucky and caught it in time to flush block and a new radiator and alls good again

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
Checked my Transmission dip stick and there doesn't seem to have any traces of water in it.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If you suspect the trans oil cooler inside the radiator is split or leaking, rather than replace the entire radiator (which is time consuming and costly) you can bypass the cooler and fit an external oil cooler. Wreckers sell then for ~$30 and they are usually easy to fit plus they are more efficient than the ones inside the radiator.

Re water in the transmission - if this happens you can blow the trans as water will boil once the transmission oil reaches operating temperature.

vncruzr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1
ill put a tenner on it being your inlet manifold gasket mate. ive done 4 of them so far, same symptoms...........

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Have you needed to top up the coolant overflow bottle lately or do you notice a coolant smell when the car is hot? What may be happening is the coolant can work it's way up though the thread of the Intake manifold bolts and leak externally. It's very difficult to see because on a hot engine it dries as quick as it leaks. That what was happening on mine.

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
Has never smelt of coolant after a drive and I havent had 2 top it up since I changed the coolant 6 months ago

Ill change the gasket next weekend

Should I also change my oil while at it? since I will flush the system out to remove the gunk

Thanks

Last edited:

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Well I had to top up the coolant every few days. The gasket around the water jackets had broken along every every side so coolant was getting out everywhere. It never hurts to change the oil. I do mine every 5000kms anyway. Have you had a looked under the oil cap for any signs of water in the oil? In your case you don't seem to have an external leak and if there's no internal leak then possibly it is not a failed intake gasket.