Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil in the coolant, but no coolant in the oil??

crazy.vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Oil in the coolant but no coolant in the block? Simple answer. If shes an automatic. Its probably transmission fluid. inside your radiator maybe the piping has worn away or something.

Happened to me the other week. If the fluid looks like a strawberry milkshake then it's transmission fluid mixed with coolant. There is a leak inside the radiator where the two parts seperate.
Solution is to replace the radiator and flush out the whole cooling system about 10 times until it runs clear.

blownba

Reaction score
+1 inlet manifold gasket leak.
I do HEAPS of them every year on all V6 from VN to VY

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
There is no Coolant under the Oil cap, only a small amount of iced coffee looking crap and grease along the inner top of the radiator.

It isn't a strawberry coloured and the coolant is still Green

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP Excec; 95 II VR Equipe; 99 VT Exec
Yep - thanks for the heads up on looking for strawberry colour - i rekon that concludes that mine is gasket as well. Cheers all, i'll do the fix tomorrow and post the results! :thumbsup:

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
cool i am keen to know how it goes, and if that fixes your prob I will do it for sure on weekend.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Make sure you've got everything you need before starting the job. Obviously you'll need the Gasket but you'll also need things like gasket sealant to fill the gap between the actual gasket and the new end seals (Permatex Ultra Grey worked a treat for me). Thread sealant, utility knife blades for cleaning gasket areas. Have all that before you start so you're not going back and forth from the shop and wasting time.

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Make sure you've got everything you need before starting the job. Obviously you'll need the Gasket but you'll also need things like gasket sealant to fill the gap between the actual gasket and the new end seals (Permatex Ultra Grey worked a treat for me). Thread sealant, utility knife blades for cleaning gasket areas. Have all that before you start so you're not going back and forth from the shop and wasting time.

Yup, stocked up today - radiator flush, coolant, intake gasket kit total $55 (kit even includes throtle body gasket, so i'll give that a clean at the same time); already got blue atv sealant, and the trusty plastic kitchen utensil that augments the razor gasket scraper!! - also new oil and filter, might as well do a service at the same time :thumbsup:

All this so I can sell it and let someone else enjoy trouble free driving...

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Yup, stocked up today - radiator flush, coolant, intake gasket kit total $55 (kit even includes throtle body gasket, so i'll give that a clean at the same time); already got blue atv sealant, and the trusty plastic kitchen utensil that augments the razor gasket scraper!! - also new oil and filter, might as well do a service at the same time :thumbsup:

All this so I can sell it and let someone else enjoy trouble free driving...

Just check that the blue atv (permatex I assume? I use that on water pumps and thermostat gaskets) is suitable for areas that come in contact with with oil. That why I went for the peratex ultra grey.

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Job's underway - but i got distracted by doing errands for the new VT today! Will finish tomorrow, its bloody cold outside!