Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil in the coolant, but no coolant in the oil??

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP Excec; 95 II VR Equipe; 99 VT Exec
Tried searching this, but havent found anything specific - so the radiator cap on the VR V6 has some claggy gunk on it, but the dipstick and oil fill cap are fine - no iced coffee there... is this still indicative of head /gasket?; valley cover gasket? No coolant loss that ive noticed; oil level hasn't changed... Ideas guys please...
The bugger was i only found out when a fella was looking at buying it!!! He took off the cap and he looks at me like maybe i'm trying to rip him off, Bloody embarrassing!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
This can be quite normal - the tablets that are added to the coolant can cause a brownish greasy deposit on the cap as can residual oil/grease from previous engine work. It only take a tiny bit to make it look bad. I'd clean it and look again in a few days but it's probably quite normal.
Good Luck.

VZ57SSZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VF Series II SSV
I have the same problem, looks as if my gasket is shot, having the gunk on the cap and if I run my finger along the top inside the radiator there is grease.

However there are no signs of head gasket problems, temp is fine, nothing in the oil, doesn't blow water or white smoke from the exhaust.

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep - i did the same, finger inside radiator, grease up on the inside of the top, almost 1 cm thick it seems - yuk! I think it's a slow leak - but which gasket?! And should we stoop to chemiweld?? Would it even work?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
My opinion only but I think you're counting your chickens before they've hatched. Before you rip the motor apart try running a cleaning agent thru the cooling system to get rid of all traces of grease/oil then refill with coolant and then see if it re-appears.

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers Hako, will do - i'd love for you to be right, but theres a lot of 'trace' residue!! ie over a cup of clag in there!
Hang on , heres another chicken - Theres a trans cooler in the radiator - could it leak into the coolant? would it make the same colour as oil in the coolant?

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
My suggestion is it will be your lower intake manifold gasket. I replaced mine last week. The plastic gaskets will break around the water jackets and allow the oil and coolant to mix. Oil will seep into the water jackets and start to mix with the coolant. You can do a flush but will only be a few days before you start to see the same thing again.

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I pick that one, does it mean the whole valley cover comes off to fix it? (have done that on the womans VP, only 1/2 days work and the heads can stay on - yay!!)

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
Oil in the coolant but no coolant in the block? Simple answer. If shes an automatic. Its probably transmission fluid. inside your radiator maybe the piping has worn away or something.

gsxrdan

Has this got a turbo?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yer but that's a more expensive answer Social (dammit!) see what happens when you try hatching chickens?!
Any way of testing that?
Anyone got a V6 Radiator for sale???