Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil in the water

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I have pulled off the plastic overflow reservoir once a couple of months ago and washed it out properly as it was full of oily sluge. Seemed to stay clean for a few days then go Bak to crap. It doesn't seem to loose any coolant from the engine either so don't think it's a head gasket, could possibly be the timing case like U said. By the condition of the car I'd say it's been flogged it's while life and barely serviced
How well did you wash it? You might just have a dirty coolant reservoir. Congealed petrochemicals can be hard to get out. You washed out a layer last time, then hot water in there melted some more.

Maybe someone before poured oil, transmission fluid or brake fluid down the wrong spout. Or maybe it had a oil in the coolant problem that was already fixed with a new radiator etc. and they forgot to clean out the coolant reservoir.

Is there oil on the rubber of the radiator cap? Or is it only in the coolant reservoir?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
All solid answers and advice so far.

I’m going to guess the cause is the timing cover. The water pump bolts on and goes through, and there’s timing chain issues, you can bet there’s also oil around the timing chain cover on the front of the motor. Therefore to me it would be likely there’s also internal leaking.

Just a guess.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Where are you located ?
If I could help you out, I would,
But difficult to assist if no-one knows where your located.
As I have done a bit of work on the model in question. :)

Last edited:

Benzo_133

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz executive
How well did you wash it? You might just have a dirty coolant reservoir. Congealed petrochemicals can be hard to get out. You washed out a layer last time, then hot water in there melted some more.

Maybe someone before poured oil, transmission fluid or brake fluid down the wrong spout. Or maybe it had a oil in the coolant problem that was already fixed with a new radiator etc. and they forgot to clean out the coolant reservoir.

Is there oil on the rubber of the radiator cap? Or is it only in the coolant reservoir?
It's only in the Coolant reservoir, the actual cap for the Coolant is clean as is the water in the engine.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
It's only in the Coolant reservoir, the actual cap for the Coolant is clean as is the water in the engine.
If there is no emulsion visible on the radiator cap, maybe you have a coolant reservoir that is contaminated from some previous and since mended issues. There are no other issues, right?

Just a few weeks ago I was fixing this Nissan Navarra that had the same thing. Head gasket had gone. Oil in the coolant. Some lazy bugger had replaced the gasket, cleaned out the block and put a new radiator in, but then decided pulling the coolant reservoir out and cleaning that was asking just that little bit too much.

Owner was worried about all the oil in there.

Lucky oil floats and the hose goes down the bottom of the reservoir so it doesn't suck back into your radiator.

Laundry powder works well at cleaning out the coolant reservoir.