Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil leak

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
Hi everyone,I just discovered an oil leak today in my VS,I havent had a close look yet but it seems to be leaking all over the ride side of the k-frame so its leaking from above it.I dont know yet if it might be the rocker cover gasket.I thought it might have been power steering fluid because I needed to fill it up it was low,and there are a few power steering lines in that area but power steering fluid is red in colour and the oil thats leaking looks like motor oil.Im going to degrease it and try to see where its actually leaking from but any thoughts or ideas what the leak may be would be appreciated cheers.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Could be a Rocker Cover gasket, Inlet Manifold Gasket leaking, Oil Filter O-ring leaking. Your best bet is to degrease it down first then have a good look. Commodores have an annoying habit of leaking power steering systems, so it could be more that then the Motor Oil.

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
This leak is a fast leak I wiped the area that it was leaking from drove the car to the shop and back,parked it in the driveway 2 hours later went and checked it and there are about 10 drip positions on the k-frame and a area the size of my hand of oil on the ground.I think I might add some brake fluid to the steering fluid and see if that helps or I might have to get some power steering stop leak,but if none of those work then a new rack.Looks like I have the same problem as triple b

Last edited:

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanx for all your input found out its definately the power steering hose its got a split in it its the original one that was put on when the car was built,which is 355000km ago,steering rack still in ok condition got a new hose for $35 on ebay.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Most probably the low pressure power steering hose, it gets heat affected and splits, new hose can be bought per metre from spare parts shops and is not hard to change if you can get the sr=crew driver onto the hose clamps.

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanx for that info VR38 I will get it,its the hose that has another piece of rubber around it,the rubber looks like a piece of bike tube

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Hi pressure hose has the nut fittings, low pressure has the hose clamps.

SP00KSTER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE, HT MONARO REBUILD
Hey mate i also have a VS (UTE) that drops oil not alot only a few drops but i did notice that there was oil leaking out of my rocker cover gasket on the right side so could be a similar problem with more that just my engine, still havent got around to fixing it yet

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
The oil leak that my car had was a massive leak compared to the ordinary leak that you get,it was about 200mls at a time,I put all the stop leaks into it,I didnt know where the leak was coming from so I stop leaked the engine oil,trans oil and power steering oil.The rocker cover gaskets had no leaks it was pretty dry from them all the way down,the power pump was dry,the oil filter was also fine,I thought that the head gasket was gone but that was ok,it was the hose thats got the alloy end bits,the rubber part had a split and also the alloy was warn because somehow it was rubbing on something else which eventually made a small hole,so I ended up clipping it at one end to stop it from rubbing.