Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil leak

Tripper213

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore V6 2004
Hi,
I have had new gaskets replaced an also rocket cover after having my car smoking.
Have also degreased motor an undercarriage to remove oil etc.
Have taken car for run only to find that I had oil sitting on top of rocket cover again an smoking just like it was b4 getting replaced an fixed.
Can someone please let me know why or what else is causing this to still happen.
Very frustrating

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Hi,
I have had new gaskets replaced an also rocket cover after having my car smoking.
Have taken car for run only to find that I had oil sitting on top of rocket cover again an smoking just like it was b4 getting replaced an fixed.
Can someone please let me know why or what else is causing this to still happen.
Very frustrating
Did you put sealant on the rocker cover bolts?

Tripper213

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore V6 2004
No put sealant on rubber seal on rocket cover.
So should I have sealant on bolts also

Tripper213

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore V6 2004
IMG_20221206_125830448~3.jpg

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Hi,
Very frustrating
Looking at that, it’s an early VZ.
The oil leaks if the PCV is blocked.

The fix requires no money and some basic skills. Actually you need a can of throttle body cleaner, so that’s like $20.

When that is blocked, pressure builds in the crank case and oil comes out of places it’s not supposed to. You can get someone to change the gaskets every week and it will still happen until the little PCV is unblocked and the holes enlarged to the specific sizes outlined in the thread below.

If you get oil dropping onto the manifold from there, there’s going to be smoke.

Check all the connections with the PCV hoses. Make sure they are soft, not hard and brittle.

Get some compressed air through them to make sure they are clear of grot and schmutz inside. At least some degreaser and a hose through them (off the car) and dry in the hot hot sun.

No sealant is required on any of those bolts. They all have gaskets and o-rings that should be doing the job unless the PCV is blocked.

This is the thread to use:
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/alloytec-pcv-problem-fix.279039/

The PCV hoses are still available new.

Not a complicated job and would take a novice a few hours and a few cups of tea to do.

Last edited: