Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oil leak

pac3y

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt S Pack Series 2
hello all!

just a few quick questions...been told today that i have an oil leak where the transmission meets the engine. my mechanic mate said it was just a seal that needed to be replaced. i naturally thought that it wouldnt be that expensive however when i asked he said its not the part that is expensive its the labour that goes into it as you have to take the transmission out to get to the seal.
i own a vt series 2 s pack (v6) with 112,00 k's on the clock!

just wondering if that is true? if so how much? and are there any places where i could get it done that may cheaper? i know i will have to exentually get it done but wwondering if there are any alternatives.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Yes it's true, the transmission has to come out. No alternatives really, it happens to most of them eventually and most people put up with it due the enormous expense of replacing the seal.
Maybe and additive that conditions seal and frequent oil changes will help a bit.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Rear main seals are a problem with quite a lot of commodores. They're a cheap actual part, but it's all the labour involved you pay for. Many people have used stop leak you can get from Repco which helps quite a bit. My mum purchased her VR Berlina with a leaking rear main seal, just keep an eye on the oil level and top it up when needed and its ok.

If your ok with mechanical stuff you could probably do it yourself, however it may take a full day, maybe two depending on how confident you are. If the leak isn't that bad let it leak, keeps you using newer oil. Because your checking it every few days and topping up with freesh stuff when needed.

pac3y

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt S Pack Series 2
yehhh im trying to con my mate into doing it one saturday afternoon/sunday day!
he did go on to say the leak isnt that bad and that i have now, " joined another commodore club"
question is how good is the stop leak stuff and will i have to keep using it or is it a once only type thing?

thanks for all the input i really appreciate it!
keep it coming!!!!!

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
The best brand of stop leak you can actually get is sold at Repco. It's imported stuff from the USA. They actually make really good stop leak stuff. I think it may be packaged under the Nulon name, not too sure. That brand sells stop leaks for every liquid part of the engine.

It wouldn't last forever, but it would slow the leak, but if the leak really isn't that bad i wouldn't bother with it. Just keep topping up the oil. It is keeping your engine oil all good. If it's goign to be longer than 12 months or so until your oging to change the seal then maybe look at some stop leak.

pac3y

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt S Pack Series 2
true. it will be fixxed in a month or so.....hopefully!
thank you to all!

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
The best stop leak is Auto-Rx (An engine metal parts cleaner, seal cleaner etc). Also for the trans, change to Valvoline Maxlife, for trans oil as it is a synthetic base, with esters in there for seal conditioning. Nulon also make a trans additive with some esters for seal conditioning.