Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil leaking from head gaskets

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
I noticed the other day there is engine oil all down the back of the engine. It appears to be coming from the rear of the head gaskets, on BOTH sides! There's no oil in the water or water in the oil. Anyone had this problem?

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Are you certain that its not leaking from the rocker cover gaskets? Maybe give it all a good degreasing and then after next time you drive it try and see if you can pinpoint exactly where it is coming from.

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
Yeah i'm quite sure it's coming from the heads. I've tried degreasing and then checking later - there's no oil from the head gaskets upwards and rocker cover gaskets are new.

clubby_you

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs clubsport
what about valley gaskets also pretty common

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
I was did a search for the same problem that this bloke has (mine is just on the drivers side and I go through around 1 maybe 2 litres of oil per 10000k's/oil change). I too have changed my inlet manifold gasket in the past and it is still clean around there a few years on. I had a good look at it and I'm pretty sure that it is coming from the head gasket. No water in oil or water in oil. Is this common? Is the head gasket easy to replace seeing as there would be no head warping.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Doubt it's the head gaskets, there are water jackets front and rear, my thoughts are the manifold gasket has slipped out or blown.