Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Leaking from Oil Filler Cap Riser

Gazza91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Hi All

I have a 2005 VZ V6, oil is leaking between the riser and rocker cover. Whilst I was at the dealer I purchased two gaskets one for the oil cap (easily fitted) and one for the riser when I saw it on the screen.

My question is can someone please advise how to remove the riser from the rocker cover so I change that gasket too?

Cheers

Gary

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Without any photos it is a little difficult to know if we are thinking/talking about the same thing. You cannot remove the 'riser' as you may be referring to it as i.e. the circular tube that the oil fill cap attaches to. It is an integral part of the 'rocker cover' moulding. If you are referring to the casting that the oil filter is a part of, then you simply undo the bolts located around the base of the said casting and remove it. Other than that, photos please. Good luck.

Gazza91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Hi Benboy, Thanks for your reply, I am talking about the circular tube that holds the filler cap. When I went to the Dealer it showed a second O ring/gasket under the riser on the parts screen.

It wasn't a clear enough picture on the screen to see if it had a key way or similar. None of the online posts have mentioned the gasket on the bottom of the riser either.

The riser moves a little side to side making me think it could come out with the right technique? Appreciate any advice, cheers

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Hi, I have had a closer look at the oil filler and how it is affixed to the rocker cover. It is indeed in two parts. It is possible to grasp the filler neck and it will move slightly. I attempted to remove it however I suspect that too much force may result in it breaking. I do not know hop to remove it in order to replace the 'O' ring/gasket etc. You could go to a Wreckers and ask them if they have an Alloytec Rocker Cover already removed from an engine so that you could look inside it - perhaps that way you may be able to ascertain just how it is connected and if there is any way to safely remove it. I have included a photo that clearly shows the gap between the filler and rocker cover.
I suggest that a 'short term' fix (may even prove to be a long term fix) is to obtain some Self Amalgamating Tape - readily available from Hardware Stores or Jayco Jaycar Electronics - Search Results for self amalgamating tape Read the instructions as to how to use it. The surface that you apply it to should be very clean and free of all grease/oil (use Metho or Turps). to clean the area before applying tape. I would wait until the area was perfectly dry then cut a length of tape - say about 20 cm long. After removing the plastic separating material apply one end of the tape over the join between filler and rocker cover and then very carefully start winding it around the area to be covered making sure that there is ample tape over the gap between filler neck and rocker cover. You will need to apply some stretching to the tape (not too much) in order for it to seal itself. Make sure that you have very clean hands (fingers) when handling the tape as any oil or grease may prevent I from amalgamating. If it is applied correctly, I believe it will stop the leaking until such time as you can figure out how to remove aid extension without causing any damage. It may even permanently stop the leaking. As the tape is black and if you apply it neatly then it would likely be almost invisible to all but the most discerning eye. Good luck.
VZEngineOilFiller_zps709619d2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Gazza91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Hey Benboy

Many thanks for your suggestion, the self amalgamating tape sounds like just the fix. I will give it a go this weekend, cheers

John Bowman

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz berlina
Hi,

oil leak LH side engine below oil filter somewhere
can you help
John