Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil leaks

MarkVK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
G'day all, Got the 308 stroker all pulled down. Wondering if there any gasket and seal kits better then others, particulary around rear main and sump? Thanks in advance.

waikato willy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1984 VK calais
I not long ago rebuilt my bottom end , I used a blue silicon sump gasket , these are for the later model 304 sumps that had dimples in it to lock the gasket in place when you tighten the sump
My sump does not have these but it still works really well , use 3 Bond silicone , the black stuff , I found it to be the best , also easy if you have a stud kit in the bottom of the block end rather than the bolts , makes assembly of the gasket heaps easier
I converted my rear main to a chev style 2 piece silicone seal , this has not leaked so far , however the original turd seal never leaked either in the 20 or so years my original bottom end lasted
this involved machining the block to fit the seal and the knurl being ground off the crank and ground down to the right size

I would have used a turd but my replacement crank was already modified for the chev seal so I had to modify my block before assembly

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Come racing have put out a video on the rope rear seal installation if you plan on going that way and plan on doing it yourself.

My vh has had both the pontiac rear seal and the rope seal done and they both leak. I have the pontiac seal fitted twice and that is in place now. It is a very minor leak apart from being an annoyance is not a problem.

The person who fitted the pontiac seal for me last time first told me he had done 40 of them and never had a problem and when I went back to see him it was 50 without a problem. He then did the big duck for cover. I only mention this because dodgy brothers are alive and well.

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L