Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Life Monitor / fix my DIC

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Can anyone tell me how to access this feature on AU VF?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
*subscribed*
Is this an algorithm based on time, conditions (temp, revs etc) which alerts you when it's time for an oil change rather than using the basic time-or-distance criteria?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Hey Monstar,
I don't know Mate and sorry for the mini jihad on your thread. But you may find this Interesting?
There's also a long list of other goodies, such as 0-100 time, oil temp, oil pressure, dual trip meters etc all locked away in the VF vault.
Can anyone tell me how to enable these features please? I assume via the OBD port under the steering wheel? So, I'll need a cable with the correct fittings. But what then? Is there standard software accessible through the port or would I need this installed on my laptop first?
Where can I get the cable?
@monstar - If you are interested, maybe amending the thread title to include the above will elicit a few more bights? See how it goes.

Last edited:

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Thanks for that, yes all that you mention and hundreds of other tidbits of info is available through the OBD, and I will go into the latest innovations in another thread.
However the Oil Life Monitor is an amazing gem of a thing (done me well to accurately predict servicing this engine for equivalent km an average car would do in 20+ years), has received peer awards in the industry as well as scientific recognition. Basically it works and is a good thing.
Weird issue is that while implemented on the VE it was left in the background, and not acknowledged as part of the owner's manual and service procedure.
Methinks that's tricksie AU dealers kicking up a stink coz stuffs up the service regime. But Pontiac G8 owners have zero complaints about its worth.
It now appears and receives regular praise by Chevy SS (VF1/2) owners, so I guess that it may be one of those firmware tick-boxes the cluster lovin geeks could either organise with their eeprom gear else hack some hex and flash the function on VF to work per VE and Chevy SS.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Can anyone tell me how to access this feature on AU VF?
do u have engineering mode on the VF because the oil life is in there on the VE so id say should be same spot, hold steering LHS scroll button in whilst key on maby

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Methinks that's tricksie AU dealers kicking up a stink coz stuffs up the service regime. But Pontiac G8 owners have zero complaints about its worth.

The problem with it is that most customers will carry on and argue that they're being ripped off because they're being asked to service their cars more regularly and "they shouldn't have to because it's a 15,000km interval". Irrespective of the fact that they heat cycle it several times a day, or never get it properly to operating temp.

Usually it's the same type of customer that runs their vehicle for 20,000km or 2 years between services and then complains about engine noise and "I'm only a little overdue" while whining about lack of warranty coverage.

In Australia whining self-entitled customers seems to be a new trend.

Personally I service every ~5,000km or 9 months (usually 9 months). I really appreciate the customers that do get a bit anal on servicing too - when it comes trade in time I try and get them a little extra on the trade given that it's a properly maintained vehicle.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
If whining self-entitled customers are the problem, it wouldn't be enabled for US market cars!

Hyperduc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline Wagon
do u have engineering mode on the VF because the oil life is in there on the VE so id say should be same spot, hold steering LHS scroll button in whilst key on maby
Thx 07GTS.

Any confirmation on this yet?