Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil on extractors

RodsVs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore executive
I'm having an issue where oil is leaking on the driver side extractors which is causing smoke and I dont know where the leak is coming from. I replaced the rocket cover gasket but that didnt help. Any thoughts on what is happening? 20191217_114303.jpg20191217_112319.jpg20191217_112339.jpg

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
Possible power steering fluid leak, oil filter or oil filter housing leak or oil pressure sensor leaking or transmission line leak.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Must admit looking at the 3rd photo it certainly looks like a rocker cover issue and downward seepage onto the exhaust manifold.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
What sort of rocker cover gasket are you using?

RodsVs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore executive
Must admit looking at the 3rd photo it certainly looks like a rocker cover issue and downward seepage onto the exhaust manifold.
That's I thought to so I changed the gasket. Took the cover off after running the car for a bit( until the smoke started) and I see no evidence of oil around the edges so it must be something else.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Best thing to do is, clean that area of all residue oil and run the car for 2 minutes....Shut it down and check for signs of leakage....ie, wipe your fingers around the rocker cover to head area......After 2 minutes, if it is rocker cover sealing related, you will have oil residue there.

Honestly, I'm with VS lover.....The oil appears to be seeping downwards onto the exhaust.....Whether it is the el-cheapo supercheap gasket being used or a slight crack in the rocker cover, who knows, without physcially checking, but definately looking at the pictures, it is coming from the rocker cover area.....That's the only area that oil can come from to cause that issue

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Possible power steering fluid leak, oil filter or oil filter housing leak or oil pressure sensor leaking or transmission line leak.

Honestly if it was any of these, there would be oil everywhere....Not just a small area like this....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not sure about Eco's but the Buick leak oil at the heads. But not sure if it could end up on the headers or if it could even be bad enough to cause problems?