Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil overheating: help!

Grovdes

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY
Hi!

We have a 2002 VY v6, it has been overheating. We replaced the heater valve tap as it was cracked thinking that was the issue but it has not stopped the car from overheating.

Coolant is not bubbling over but there is a bubbling noise from the engine oil and smoke.

Is there anyone who might be able to help us with what the problem may be?
Thank you!!

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Did you bleed the cooling system as per the factory requirements?
Sounds like you're out of your depth. Take it to a mechanic.

Grovdes

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY
Did you bleed the cooling system as per the factory requirements?
Sounds like you're out of your depth. Take it to a mechanic.

Yes they have bleed the cooling system, I am posting on behalf of my father as he is not internet/forum savvy.

So I will let him know that you said he is "out of his depth". Thanks for that..!

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Reason i said that you appear to be out of your depth is to do with the description you have given. The boiling temperature on coolant and oil are very different.

Also, if you continue to operate the vehicle while overheating in your attempts to diagnose the issue you could do irreperable damage to the motor that will cost more than taking it to a mechanic.

Do you have any secondary leaks?
What Percentage is the coolant concentration at?
Is the thermostat operating correctly and at the right temperature?
Are the fans operating and being triggered correctly?
Condition of hoses?
Condition of waterpump?

Grovdes

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY
Coolant was never boiling over or bubbling. The engine oil is smoking and making the bubbling noise.

Dad silly enough went straight to "if it is overheating, it must be something to do with the cooling" which is how he found that the part was cracked. This did not fix the issue, so he is now asking for help as it is the weekend and does not have the money to call an after hours mechanic.

He understand that driving it can cause more damage, he has drove it twice. Once home when he first overheated and second (for 10 mins) when he changed that part, to see if this fixed it. He may jump to conclusions and thinks he can fix everything haha but he isn't stupid enough to drive around in it causing way more damage then possible.

He is just asking me to ask helpful people out there for any suggestions or ideas, so he could either try something himself or when he gets someone out, he might have an idea of the costs.

Do you have any secondary leaks?
-no leaks
What Percentage is the coolant concentration at?
- He is using a ready to use one from his local auto store. Could the ratio be causing an issue?
Is the thermostat operating correctly and at the right temperature?
-yes
Are the fans operating and being triggered correctly?
-yes
Condition of hoses?
-hose are old but no holes in them
Condition of waterpump?
-Not sure but it has never been replaced

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Good to hear the issue is sorted but do you mind posting what the actual fault/fix was so that anybody searching my find the answer in the future :)

To me it actually sounds like it was a faulty radiator cap?

Smoking? from where?

Newera.aesthetics

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf black edition
Not much or a reply but I have the same issue.. vy ls1 just cammed and tuned especially.. water pump swapped out (whiny noise) thermostat replaced ( ceased) count flushed and radiator but might even runs 3/4 on temp gauge .. help pls

Newera.aesthetics

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf black edition
Coolant*
Tuner said he's never seen 1 run that high after all the usual checks .. also idling sometimes it stalls