Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil pressure gauge always high

macca234

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS 6L
Hello gentlemen, I recently got my hsv or monaro or whatever gauges working in my l76 ss and the oil pressure gauge seems to be retarded. Soon as the key is turned to on (even with engine off) it goes right up to 5 and stays there even after the engine is nice and warm and oil should be flowing nicely. Voltage gauge works fine if that means anything. I'm thinking faulty pressure sender but would like to know if anyone has any other ideas or solutions. Gauges were brand new before I installed them and all wiring is cleanly soldered and insulated.

Any info would be tops

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
is this the vz hsv twin hump type gauges or the vy hsv style gauges..?

Futech

Like a boss
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7
Sounds like faulty sender. Cheap to replace.

macca234

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS 6L
vz binnacle gauges... I'm guessing the sender is faulty since the voltage gauge is fine. Anything else that would cause this? Wouldn't it throw codes if the sender was ####ed?

shifty6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 5spd
the wire from the sender might be cut somewhere and touching metal.
grounding the sender wire will cause full deflection on the gauge.
either that or the sender itself is shorting straight to ground.
how are these gauges installed?
i don't know anything about these ones but on aftermarket gauges there is a plastic washer that sits under the wire that connects to the sender to insulate the sender wire from the earthed body of the sender.
if that is missing you will have the above-mentioned problem.
if that is missing,

macca234

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS 6L
the wire from the sender might be cut somewhere and touching metal.
grounding the sender wire will cause full deflection on the gauge.
either that or the sender itself is shorting straight to ground.
how are these gauges installed?
i don't know anything about these ones but on aftermarket gauges there is a plastic washer that sits under the wire that connects to the sender to insulate the sender wire from the earthed body of the sender.
if that is missing you will have the above-mentioned problem.
if that is missing,

The VZ gauges wire directly in to the dash cluster (as some models came equipped with them stock). All connections are soldered and heat shrinked then wrapped in electrical tape, and I have triple checked all wires are spliced into the correct colours. This is why I seem to think it's the actual oil sender/sensor/switch on the engine. But before I go and spend $100+ on a part (that I don't even know the location of to begin with) I thought I would check with you guys to see if anyone knows any alternate causes.

Cheers

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i was under the impression that the vz genuine hsv gauges were canbus, and might need to be told that they are installed ( scan tool ) so it can start reading the information, they would be useing the same sensor that the ecu is useing so if it was not working u would be getting warnings on the dash...

macca234

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS 6L
yea I thought so as well... guess I'll try hitting up the scan tool and see what happens I guess

Futech

Like a boss
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7
I replaced one of these just over a week ago with the exact same problem. If would work ok sometimes, then full readings one way then the other. Its just a basic sender and i can't imagine that it would be canbus. When you scan the ECU/PCM it will come up with relevant fault codes. The part is cheap. It takes a minute to fit. Clear the codes after fitting. Problem solved.

PROBLEM?

umadbro?
Reaction score
Members Ride
commo
hide the weed from it.