Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Pressure High.. Even when engine not running . Sensor?

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
HSV LS3. No Engine Light. 5W/30 Nulon. Had Ryco Filter last few months, but swapped out for AC-Delco yesterday to see if that was the issue.

Out of nowhere, my oil pressure on the HSV gauge & DashCommand, has been showing 600 kPa at idle rising to 800 + kPa (Normally sat on 300 kPa). If the engine is off, but turn key to ON, the gauge sits on 400 kPa. Cant remember if this is normal?

Nothing sounds off at all, sounds exactly the same before the gauge started acting up.

Doing google searches, things are pointing to Oil Pressure Sensor? (Cant belive how much these are from the Stealership, Nearly $300NZ) Do you know if they have screen filters for these engines? One google result said apparently only in AFM models?

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Oil pressure gauge should read zero with ignition on, engine off.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
yea sounds like faulty sender that can happen with these, if u unplug it it should read zero
Oil pressure gauge should read zero with ignition on, engine off.
Thanks was wondering about this. Unplugged it and 0 kPa reading. The price @ Holden NZ, Genuine = close to $280! Aftermarket = $150. Genuine Import from AUS = $99. Bloody Hell Holden is a rip off here in NZ.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
just make sure u get the correct one as there are few different ones and some dont label it right, u can usually tell by the look and plug type

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
just make sure u get the correct one as there are few different ones and some dont label it right, u can usually tell by the look and plug type

Turned out to be oil pressure sensor. Cold start idle is sitting on 300 kPa. When warm it sits on 200 kPa. Is this normal? I cant remember what it use to sit on, i thought it sat on 300 kPa but cannot remmeber now.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yea thats normal just changes a little depending on oil thickness, think mine was bout the 250kpa warm